Gaps between molars?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Shelleyt

Gaps between molars?

#1 Post by Shelleyt »

I’m scheduled to have my braces finally taken off after nearly 2 years on August 6. I have one more appointment before then in two weeks.

I have heard a lot of talk on our forum about gaps between front teeth opening up, even in the last stages of braces, but not as much about molar gaps. About six weeks ago I discovered a gap was opening between my upper molars, in between the last two molars on one side. It got big enough to where I could fit my tongue in the open space, and was really causing a ton of tension from food getting caught in the space. At my last appt (2 weeks ago) my ortho didn’t seem too concerned about it- she just applied a new power chain (I’ve been wearing one for over 8 months- changed every 2 appts or so) and told me to keep wearing the class ii and iii rubber bands I’ve been wearing.

Did anyone else have this happen so close to the end of your treatment? In the past two weeks it hasn’t closed much at all. I definitely don’t want the braces removed with this issue because of how much food keeps getting trapped in there.