Teeth shifted upward on one side of my mouth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

borntoglide

Teeth shifted upward on one side of my mouth

#1 Post by borntoglide »

Hi All,

I've been in braces for 19 months, and for quite a while now could feel like something didn't look right. I couldn't put my finger on what exactly it was. Today, after taking some pictures and doing side by side comparison of my teeth, I realized that the entire left side of my mouth has shifted upward, and most of the teeth on this side appear smaller than they used to be.

I had pretty straight teeth to begin with. The only issue was that, due to congenitally missing second bicuspid, my first bicuspid rotated 45 degrees and unsightly gaps formed around it. I also have overbite and overjet but because I was told that I'd need jaw surgery to fix it, the only goal for my treatment was to derotate that tooth, close the gaps around it, and broaden my smile a bit.

I was not told to wear elastics until I hit 18th month of my treatment (I was supposed to put it at night only on the outer hooks on my top canine and first bicuspid and to connect it to the bottom hooks on the inside of my lower teeth). I wore this configuration for 3 weeks, upon which I was told to switch to do it every other night only. In the beginning of the treatment I paid for TAD device, but it was never put in, so I assumed my orthodontist decided that I didn't need it.

I cannot quite grasp how he can be talking about taking my braces in a month when things are clearly not looking right. Any time I brought up that my teeth are not quite touching on that side of the mouth, he's saying that this is due to a temporary crown on my lower molar which was not very well done. He's also suggested bonding when I told him that teeth appear shorter on the left side (back then I thought that's always been the case, so I accepted his answer)

Has anyone experienced similar thing while trying to derotate teeth/close gaps? What would have caused shifting like this? Is this something that could still be addressed? Would it add a lot of time to my treatment to fix this issue? Any word of advice would be greatly appreciated!

Front view: https://ibb.co/fSApLT
Side view: https://ibb.co/hUnYEo

assertives

Re: Teeth shifted upward on one side of my mouth

#2 Post by assertives »

Actually, from your front view pics, in your before picture, the teeth on your left side is higher than your right side even without braces. But after braces it now looks more pronounced.

I'm curious, do you chew more on your right side?

I have the same problem too, in my before pics, I can tell that one side of my teeth are very slightly higher than the other side, and after being in braces for a year now, it's becoming even more obvious. I've noticed that the teeth on side I chewed more on is lower and it's also the side that moves faster now that my ortho is working to close my extraction gaps. The other side is much slower. My ortho previously asked if I chewed more on the side that moves faster when he noticed that one side is slower than the other. So I'm wondering if there's a link.

I haven't spoken to my ortho about this yet because I figured it will be sorted out when he works on fixing my bite. Have you tried showing your ortho the front view comparison pics that you have attached? Maybe it will help him see exactly what you mean.

AndAndAnd

Re: Teeth shifted upward on one side of my mouth

#3 Post by AndAndAnd »

Hi. If the photographs without the braces are your before pictures, then it looks like the issue you speak of was pre-existing. This was going off the central line being accurate, then measuring the distances to your gum line. I’ve got to say it is not really noticeable, but if your bite is not quite right then it should be corrected before the braces are removed. Good luck with getting it sorted.