Removing lower braces to chew

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Repede00

Removing lower braces to chew

#1 Post by Repede00 »

Got braces 5 says ago and can't chew because I have a glue spacer on my tooth to stop me from biting the bottom braces. I'm waaay underweight and can't afford to lose any more.

First he said treatment will take longer when I brought it up again he said I'd be in agony if I had them removed. It seems a bit manipulative honestly.

Is it a big deal for an orthodontist to teat both top and bottom at the same time or is he just being stubborn? Any dangers having them removed temporarily until there's enough room?

KatewiththeGoodTeeth

Re: Removing lower braces to chew

#2 Post by KatewiththeGoodTeeth »

I only “needed” braces on my bottom teeth (crowding). But he had to put them on the top and bottom to align my bite.

My first two weeks were torture. So much pain. It felt like eating with razor blades in my mouth. My advice; do not take them off. It would stall the process, cost more, and youll regret it later. Try to find easy foods (mac and cheese, pudding, greek yogurt) to eat that dont require biting/chewing.

Good luck

KatewiththeGoodTeeth

#3 Post by KatewiththeGoodTeeth »

@repede00

Repede00

#4 Post by Repede00 »

[quote=KatewiththeGoodTeeth post_id=502650 time=1528721292 user_id=32023]
I only “needed” braces on my bottom teeth (crowding). But he had to put them on the top and bottom to align my bite.

My first two weeks were torture. So much pain. It felt like eating with razor blades in my mouth. My advice; do not take them off. It would stall the process, cost more, and youll regret it later. Try to find easy foods (mac and cheese, pudding, greek yogurt) to eat that dont require biting/chewing.

Good luck
[/quote]

I'm not in any pain at all but I think it's because my mouth doesn't close anymore lol it's only been five days and I can seem most of my ribs. I look like a POW :(

EmilyTravels

#5 Post by EmilyTravels »

Repede00 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:49 am I'm not in any pain at all but I think it's because my mouth doesn't close anymore lol it's only been five days and I can seem most of my ribs. I look like a POW :(
Milkshakes. Seriously.

Vicki04

#6 Post by Vicki04 »

When I got molar buildups (on both my bottom and top teeth) I was soo frustrated because my teeth wouldn't make contact, my molars ached and I couldn't chew any food but after two weeks I was fine, I adjusted.
It will be difficult for the first few days but you'll adapt soon enough. The buildup also deteriorates with wear and in a few months your teeth will make contact again. If you are worried about your weight try researching high calorie liquid diets, there are plenty of smoothies, soups and other meals out there that you can take to substitute hard foods. All the best with your journey and adjusting to braces :tingrin:
1. Crowding
2. High Canines
3. Crossbite
4. Edge to edge bite
They're just kind of wonky :crazy: