Hyrax + Braces + Surgery + play the flute journey

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sizuka

Hyrax + Braces + Surgery + play the flute journey

#1 Post by Sizuka »

Hello all

I just start my journey to correct my bite+teeth+jaws .
One of my main concerns , was/is if I could play the flute as before . I am an amateur player and I am playing the flute for the last 2 years .
My teacher , didn't have experience with students after surgery ( only with braces ) , so I would like to make this post to keep an update for this , as there are not enough info online .

1. Flute and Hyrax ( palatal expander )
After they just installed the device ( before start expanding ) , I was able to play as before . My teacher said that she didn't notice any big difference in my tune .

2. Flute and SARPE surgery .
10 days after surgery I am able to play again for a short time .
But now that I am at 14 turns of the expander and the gap between my front teeth is big , doesn't sound good . I ll try again in a few days , when I'll have less pain .
But I don't like the "whistling" noise from the gap ( I am going to have this gap for 3-4 months .... )

Sizuka

Re: Hyrax + Braces + Surgery + play the flute journey

#2 Post by Sizuka »

Week 3 and the expand its almost at its bigger , 3,5 more days expanding - already 33 turns = 8 mm expansion .
I still can play the flute , when the gums are not swollen and not hurting , for really short time .
No significant change to my tune ... but ...

But now I can hear a whistle along with the normal sound ... :(
Not happy with this , but at least its only to last for 1-2 months max .
Then the gap will be close again and the loose air that makes the whistle will be gone .