7 months in. More pain today than ever before.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

taimeinhappy

7 months in. More pain today than ever before.

#1 Post by taimeinhappy »

My orthodontist gave me my new teeth today! My 2 top front teeth have always looked like "buck" teeth because the 2 teeth next to them were WAY too small to be in my adult mouth.

So today my ortho built my teeth. I'm ecstatic, I cried when I saw them. They are beautiful. I could not be happier. However....my ortho did something with my gums, shaped them? I don't know. But oh my gosh, my mouth hurts soooooooo bad. I also got power chains on my top and bottom teeth.

Iv'e taken drugs, swished with whisky (I may have swallowed) and swished with warm salt water. My pain has not gone anywhere.

Has anyone had their gums shaped or receded on purpose? Any suggestions on pain relief? Or maybe how long?

pcspinheiro

Re: 7 months in. More pain today than ever before.

#2 Post by pcspinheiro »

Don't let your ortho do things to you that you have not been informed about and may not want to consent to!

taimeinhappy

#3 Post by taimeinhappy »

pcspinheiro wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:23 am Don't let your ortho do things to you that you have not been informed about and may not want to consent to!
I trust my orthodontist and have told him multiple times that he can do whatever he thinks is best.

Thank you for the concern. Any pain reduction suggestions?

assertives

#4 Post by assertives »

taimeinhappy wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:53 am
pcspinheiro wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:23 am Don't let your ortho do things to you that you have not been informed about and may not want to consent to!
I trust my orthodontist and have told him multiple times that he can do whatever he thinks is best.

Thank you for the concern. Any pain reduction suggestions?
Continue with the warm salt water. It helps to reduce inflammation and does take awhile. Are there open wounds in your mouth after the gum reshaping? Or is your mouth just generally aching everywhere?

Personally, I have found a drop or 2 tea tree oil to help immensely when I have an open wound like a cut or blister from the wires. I take a cotton bud and dap some on the wound and then I would take care to not swallow saliva for the next 5 or so mins then thoroughly rinse my mouth. Alternatively, I have also brushed my teeth with a drop of tea tree or clove oil mixed in my toothpaste. The clove oil burns but seems to help when I have a generally aching mouth from a new adjustment. Take care to thoroughly rinse out your mouth if you do try clove or tea tree oil though.

djspeece

#5 Post by djspeece »

Ibuprofin does wonders with dental pain.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying