Root Resorption/Strong Facial Muscles

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tgannon2

Root Resorption/Strong Facial Muscles

#1 Post by Tgannon2 »

Hi all,

Hopefully I am posting this in the right place, I have read the rules here but am kind of flustered with what's going on in my braces journey that I may have made a mistake.

Anyways, my situation is kind of complicated. I got braces right after my 24th birthday. Estimated time was 22 months. I am now 27 months into treatment. I had overcrowding and a severe overbite. Current orthodontic appliances are the SPEED Braces.

9 months ago my orthodontist did an xray and noticed that my two bottom front teeth have 50% root resorption. I had always had extreme sensitivity during my appointments whenever these teeth were touched and we are now thinking that this was the reasoning. Three weeks ago I went in for my most recent appointment and while I haven't lost anymore root on these teeth, one of the bottom ones has a blurry spot at the end of the root, meaning it is 'still active'. This essentially means that I could lose more root with continued treatment.

My ortho had terrible bedside manner and said my teeth were going to fall out. Obviously, I started crying because that was the whole reason I got braces in the first place (overcrowding was causing bottom teeth to hit gums behind top teeth, wearing down the gum and potentially causing them to fall out). The techs were great and reassured me that I just had to be careful, everything was going to be fine and if my ortho was really concerned, she would have taken them off immediately.

My problem is not only the root resorption, but due to changes in my jaw, my tongue was pressing against those bottom teeth which contributed to the root loss and huge gaps in my teeth where there used to be severe crowding. I have powerchains, have had them since January and are still not closed all the way. Due to the root loss, I will be debraced in July, with my detailing appointment at the beginning of June. I'm extremely concerned about this gap not being closed in time for my braces to be off, as well as the quality of life I will be having with the roots.

Anyone have any issues like this before? I am so disappointed, I suffered from low self-esteem all my life as my parents could not afford treatment for me, and now that I have gone ahead to save teeth and be happy with my appearance, I seem to have done more damage!

Any advice anyone can give me about stubborn gaps/living with root resporption would be very helpful. Thank you.

pcspinheiro

Re: Root Resorption/Strong Facial Muscles

#2 Post by pcspinheiro »

I'm really sorry to hear about your situation and I totally understand your sadness and frustration... I myself also had a deep bite and some mild upper crowding, causing wear to my lower teeth, so I went to an ortho asking for some work on my upper teeth, as I could see that resolving the crowding should take the teeth away from each other. What followed was an idiotic, full mouth treatment plan that I did not need nor want, as I was not unhappy with my crooked teeth and they had always functioned well for what they were meant to do. I did not bother to seek further info about her plan so I went along with it. I was then lied to about the lack of space for all teeth and one premolar was extracted before I realized that was a lie; she wanted to camouflage my class II discrepancy by bringing all my upper teeth back, which would have ruined my already not so pretty face. My estimate is that I would look like an old man. Then she decided to open my bite by extruding the molars... big mistake since, as is well known for adults, it often relapses and causes TMJ issues. Guess what I got? I also got a narrower mouth, which she tried to disprove by showing me my mouth together with the initial casts, but through a 1.5x mirror! But my speech problems and my tong say otherwise. I also got my front teeth all leveled to the same length, giving me a horrible smile, and recently I noticed I have 1 molar totally out of vertical alignment. I have complained about all this but she does not seem to care about any of it. So now I just want the extraction gap closed and my smile back, if I'm still unhappy I'll just try to reach out to another ortho before removing the braces...

I do hope you can get your situation solved the best way possible, but it seems like your may be looking at 2 implants any time soon, which is really a shame since you were trying to save teeth.

assertives

Re: Root Resorption/Strong Facial Muscles

#3 Post by assertives »

Tgannon2 wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:34 am
Hi all,

Hopefully I am posting this in the right place, I have read the rules here but am kind of flustered with what's going on in my braces journey that I may have made a mistake.

Anyways, my situation is kind of complicated. I got braces right after my 24th birthday. Estimated time was 22 months. I am now 27 months into treatment. I had overcrowding and a severe overbite. Current orthodontic appliances are the SPEED Braces.

9 months ago my orthodontist did an xray and noticed that my two bottom front teeth have 50% root resorption. I had always had extreme sensitivity during my appointments whenever these teeth were touched and we are now thinking that this was the reasoning. Three weeks ago I went in for my most recent appointment and while I haven't lost anymore root on these teeth, one of the bottom ones has a blurry spot at the end of the root, meaning it is 'still active'. This essentially means that I could lose more root with continued treatment.

My ortho had terrible bedside manner and said my teeth were going to fall out. Obviously, I started crying because that was the whole reason I got braces in the first place (overcrowding was causing bottom teeth to hit gums behind top teeth, wearing down the gum and potentially causing them to fall out). The techs were great and reassured me that I just had to be careful, everything was going to be fine and if my ortho was really concerned, she would have taken them off immediately.

My problem is not only the root resorption, but due to changes in my jaw, my tongue was pressing against those bottom teeth which contributed to the root loss and huge gaps in my teeth where there used to be severe crowding. I have powerchains, have had them since January and are still not closed all the way. Due to the root loss, I will be debraced in July, with my detailing appointment at the beginning of June. I'm extremely concerned about this gap not being closed in time for my braces to be off, as well as the quality of life I will be having with the roots.

Anyone have any issues like this before? I am so disappointed, I suffered from low self-esteem all my life as my parents could not afford treatment for me, and now that I have gone ahead to save teeth and be happy with my appearance, I seem to have done more damage!

Any advice anyone can give me about stubborn gaps/living with root resporption would be very helpful. Thank you.
I can't really comment on the gap closure, but regarding root resorption from what I've read, resorption due to orthodontic forces stops progressing once the forces causing it is removed.

There was an old study that documented a follow up assessment on patients with varying severity of root resorption some 10-25 years later which recorded no significant worsening of the resorption and the degree of tooth mobility varies with age and severity. (https://academic.oup.com/ejo/article/29/5/482/425501)

So all's not lost, a tooth with root resorption could still remain functional for a long time, and you could also consider implants much later down the road.