Molar Bands

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

chloeeeeeee

Molar Bands

#1 Post by chloeeeeeee »

So, has anyone else gotten molar bands? I only got 4, but they are extremely painful. I've had my braces for a week now, and they don't hurt much now, but the first week they really hurt. Every time I would chew food, the molar band would cut my tongue. It would hurt when I did nothing. Now it just hurts when I swallow and it's really annoying. I've heard you can ask the orthodontist to push that down, but I'm not sure. Is this normal?

assertives

Re: Molar Bands

#2 Post by assertives »

I didn't get molar bands, but you could certainly ask your ortho to file away some of the sharp edges to stop it from cutting your tongue. It doesn't sound normal to have it hurt even when you are not doing anything. Maybe your ortho could help adjust it a little.

alwaysabc

#3 Post by alwaysabc »

I had molar bands put on after I'd had my braces about a month; it was painful for a few days following but I barely notice them now. It doesn't sound right that they were cutting your tongue or causing swallowing discomfort, can you speak to your ortho and get them checked before your next adjustment?

ElizabethMae

#4 Post by ElizabethMae »

I had a very narrow arch, so the nubs on the inside of my molar bands hurt more than anything my first few weeks of braces. They put ligatures around them, which made it easier to deal with, but I still had to stick wax on them as well for a few weeks until my mouth adjusted. Now that my arch has widened a bit and there's more room for my tongue it's doesn't hurt as much unless I'm talking more than normal.