Braces for the third time

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jethro

Braces for the third time

#1 Post by Jethro »

Hey All, it’s been a while since I posted here, but wanted to share my on-going orthodontic adventures. Brief recap: had braces for 2.5 years between 2008-2011 for an anterior crossbite, crowding, rotations and midline correction. Received upper and lower bonded retainers, a Hawley retainer for the uppers and an Essix retainer for the lowers. I had my final retainer check in 2013. I continued to wear them as directed and have had regular cleanings with my dentist.

Everything was good until about six months ago when I noticed some shifting of several teeth. I was already scheduled for a cleaning with my dentist in February and discussed my concerns. I was told that there were no signs of perio disease and that I should visit my ortho. Saw my former ortho in March and discussed the shifting. “Have you been wearing your retainers?” Answer: Yes, 3-4 nights per week as directed. “Are you SURE you’ve been wearing your retainers?” Answer: Yes, religiously and I brought them with me. My ortho was as perplexed as I was about the shifting. They took impressions and a panoramic xray. Went back a week later to meet with ortho to discuss options. Fast forward…I’m currently in metal braces to correct an edge-to-edge bite of of lower left central/lateral incisors, a rotated upper molar, a flared in upper central incisor, and midline correction.

Ultimately, the ortho concluced my situation was caused in part by simple relapse, but more so do to a failed upper bonded retainer and a failed lower Essix retainer (that both appeared intact). I NEVER could have envisioned having braces for a third time. I’m very fortunate that my employer’s dental insurance will pay at least half the cost of treatment and that I should be finished within 12 months.

All the Best,

Jethro
:-+

liner

Re: Braces for the third time

#2 Post by liner »

Wow. Feel bad for you.
I guess just keep thinking about the outcome.

djspeece

#3 Post by djspeece »

I think i would be inclined to wear the retainer every night, especially if i noted shifting. Was there a particular reason he only wants you to wear them 3-4 nights per week? I'm quite sure my teeth would shift in that plan. Best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Jethro

#4 Post by Jethro »

Thanks for the kind words. The amount of correction needed in each area is relatively small, probably 2mm or less, far less than my original treatment. My friends and family were surprised that I needed braces again given that my teeth still look pretty straight. As for retainer wear, as I recall it was full time for the first 3 months, then every night for a year. If no shifting, I could slowly cut back which ended up with the 3-4 nights per week. Of course, when I noticed the shifting I started with 7 nights per week, unfortunately, the upper bonded and bottom lower Essix retainers had somehow become loose/deformed and were no longer providing proper retention. Which begs the question: What is the lifespan of retainers (bonded, Hawley, Essix)?

jawregret1

#5 Post by jawregret1 »

Hi! How long have you had braces on your teeth in total if this is the third time?

Jethro

#6 Post by Jethro »

Interesting question, I hadn't thought of that perspective. So let's see, if my current treatment concludes at the 12-month mark, my lifetime total in braces will be 4.5 years. Waaaaay too long! Lol.

thirdtime

#7 Post by thirdtime »

That's quite a long time! Did your ortho ever mention your roots shortening?

Jethro

#8 Post by Jethro »

Fortunately, I do not have short roots. I'm aware that root resorption can be an issue, particularly with re-treatment, so I've asked my ortho and dentist to monitor things closely. Here are some pics showing my current status (apologies for the unruly face fur).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jethro

#9 Post by Jethro »

I had my 3rd adjustment last week. I was supposed to get stainless wires on the top and bottom, but due to a somewhat intruded upper right molar, they were unable to seat the stainless wire so they put the NiTi wire back in. They also put wire hooks on my top laterals for new “box” elastics. Wowza! These things are extremely tight and impair my speech at times. Turns out I have both lateral and vertical relapse. Aaaaaaah! Next appointment in 4 weeks.

All the best,
Jethro
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jethro

#10 Post by Jethro »

I'm eight months in and had an adjustment last week. Four brackets were repositioned, and I now have 3 heavy elastics: 2 to level my bite and 1 to correct my midline. Challenging to wear, I must say. But as others have said, full-time wear is far more bearable than intermittent wear, so I've been as compliant as possible. No discussion regarding debonding.

Hope everyone's treatment is progressing well.

All the Best,

Jethro

mattt

#11 Post by mattt »

Thanks for the update! Could you post a picture of your new pattern? sounds pretty complex!

Jethro

#12 Post by Jethro »

From the front view, pretty much as before except the left one now goes from bottom L canine to upper L molar. The box elastics on my 4 rear molars aren't easily photographed. I did switch to black ligs/powerchains instead of silver this time.

All the Best,

Jethro

SDFD TSchott

#13 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Wow Jethro hopefully the third times a charm.

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

2XRound

#14 Post by 2XRound »

I feel your pain
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;29;124/st/20130308/e/Full+Braces+were+applied/k/91e6/event.png[/img]

[color=#0080FF]
[size=150]Alexandra (Alex)[/size][/color]

Jethro

#15 Post by Jethro »

Thanks 2XRound and SDFD. It's been a while so I thought I'd give a brief update. It's been 10.5 months and seem to be making slow but steady progress. Still trying to get a stubborn molar and pre-molar in place and working on my midline. I've been on a break from elastics for the past 6 weeks and I must say I'm elated, though I've been warned those insidious tormenters may return.

All the Best,

Jethro