Will my dentist know if I double my elastics

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Fiatbraces

Will my dentist know if I double my elastics

#1 Post by Fiatbraces »

Will my dentist know if I wear double elastics, so if I put 2 class iii elastics on will my dentist know?

Momto5boys

Re: Will my dentist know if I double my elastics

#2 Post by Momto5boys »

He might not know but you can cause damage to the roots of your teeth if you do. There's a reason why they move the teeth at a certain speed.

I get it though....I've had elastic for a couple months and want my teeth to move faster.

assertives

#3 Post by assertives »

I think depending on what kind of movement you end up getting with doubling your elastics, your dentist may or may not know. Obviously if you are achieving alot of movement over a short period of time, then your dentist could very well be able to tell.

As always, please do not do your own ortho work. There is a reason and method behind the duration/strength/configuration of elastics that your dentist prescribes, to achieve certain movement in certain teeth. Also, teeth moved too fast could cause a root resorption and that is not reversible.

Fiatbraces

#4 Post by Fiatbraces »

Thanks for getting back to me guys, I will stop wearing double elastics now then, I have only been wearing double for around 24 hours now do you think I could have caused root resorption in the amount of time I have been wearing them? Thanks again

pcspinheiro

#5 Post by pcspinheiro »

I would day very unlikely with 24h of use...

yogurtyoga

#6 Post by yogurtyoga »

It will not speed up the treatment but instead ruin the teeth root.