Face changed after extraction, noticeably worse, worried

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

derekwilliams

Face changed after extraction, noticeably worse, worried

#1 Post by derekwilliams »

I went to see an ortho to show more of my upper teeth when smiling and at rest. It turned out I had an overjet, so my dentist said he'd fix it all with just one lower incisor extraction, while assuring me my face wouldn't change.

Fast forward 2 years into the present and my ortho requests I shave my long beard, as he's near the end and wants to take some new pictures. I did, and right after that I looked at myself in the mirror and was in total shock... I could barely recognize myself. My face became shorter and narrower and my lower jaw looks like it's half it's original size. My overjet is gone and i can show half of my teeth but I now have a very deep bite instead.

Here is a pic of my profile (Right photo: before, Left photo: after)

https://imageshack.com/a/img923/4016/ladDyc.jpg

I am totally panicking and I can barely look at myself in the mirror. I'm seriously considering backtracking everything to reverse what's happened. Hoping for some advice, thank you.

djspeece

Re: Face changed after extraction, noticeably worse, worried

#2 Post by djspeece »

Frankly I think the "after" picture presents a much better, more interesting masculine profile. Let's see what the women think who are here. Don't panic.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

derekwilliams

#3 Post by derekwilliams »

Sorry for the confusing order but the “after” picture is the one on the left, gonna update it when I can

djspeece

#4 Post by djspeece »

derekwilliams wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:56 am
Sorry for the confusing order but the “after” picture is the one on the left, gonna update it when I can
Yes, that is the one to which I was referring.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

derekwilliams

#5 Post by derekwilliams »

If i could show my whole face you would see that the length became noticeably shorter, it just looks like i have tiny head syndrome... Plus my nose suddenly looks too big... im just really in total shock

almost40

#6 Post by almost40 »

I see what you mean. I currently have a deep bite. Your after looks like my before and your before looks like what I want my profile to look like afterwards. Did the ortho advance your upper teeth and pull back your lowers? Maybe to broaden your smile you had to sacrifice with some overbite? As long as you lower incisors don’t impinge the roof of your mouth like mine do that’s a good thing.

derekwilliams

#7 Post by derekwilliams »

Well all I felt these past 2 months is this strong wire on my lower teeth making them narrower and narrower for whatever reason, while not noticing any facial changes because of my beard. But now I have a deep bite, a shorter face and a measley lower jaw.

The only thing keeping me together is that I know I have surgery next month (which was to only address the fact that I dont show teeth when I smile), but I guess now I have a bunch of new problems to mention to the surgeon, as he hasn’t seen me yet without a beard. So its either surgery thats going to bring me back or backtracking what the dentist did.

I look so incredibly different and worse looking I still can’t believe it. It feels like a nightmare but yet I’m awake.

derekwilliams

#8 Post by derekwilliams »

Ok I've calmed down. If worst comes to worst I'll just regrow a beard lol