ELASTIC KEEPS SNAPPING OFF (lingual buttons) grrr

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nybizzle

ELASTIC KEEPS SNAPPING OFF (lingual buttons) grrr

#1 Post by nybizzle »

I have elastics for lingual buttons on one side of my mouth to fix posterior crossbite. I’ve had elastics in this particular configuration since January. The elastic goes from the hooks on the back of the top four molars, all the way to bottom four molars, so the elastic has to stretch quite a bit. The problem with it is that it just keeps snapping off of the front canine one, no matter what I do! It’s very frustrating. I’ll be talking to someone and mid-sentence, there is a “click” or “pop” sound - oooh, the elastic has snapped off again, and then I have to put it back! It does stay on on all the other hooks, it’s just that canine one that doesn’t want to hold on to it. I had gorilla elastics, and now I have the tortoise ones, which are thicker, and they still snap off all the time! The only time it doesn’t come off the canine is when I’m sleeping, or just not talking. I’ve seen other people on this forum say that thicker elastics help, so I don’t know.

I’ve honestly decided not to worry about putting the elastic on the back canine hook now, cause it just doesn’t stay on. I can’t have it popping off 5 times a minute. Unless I decide to talk with my mouth nearly closed, it won’t stay on. I just can’t do that. I know that the canine might not move as much as the other teeth, but I just don’t know what to do.

Anybody have any suggestions? I’m definitely going to call my ortho about this as well.

djspeece

Re: ELASTIC KEEPS SNAPPING OFF (lingual buttons) grrr

#2 Post by djspeece »

Great that you are going to talk to your ortho about it; perhaps he can adjust the hook a bit so that the elastic is less likely to slip off. Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

nybizzle

Re: ELASTIC KEEPS SNAPPING OFF (lingual buttons) grrr

#3 Post by nybizzle »

Update: I called my ortho about two weeks ago and he said that I could leave the elastic off the canine hook, and then they'll re-assess it during my next appointment. I at least put it on the canine hook when I'm sleeping though.