Nance Appliance Pain

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

laisabee

Nance Appliance Pain

#1 Post by laisabee »

Help.
I'm 15 years old and I got a nance appliance fitted on my top jaw a couple of months ago. Initially, there was a bit of aching which my orthodontist said was normal. The aching was gone after a few days and that was that, everything was fine.

Every time I ate something hard, the molar in the ring on the right side of my appliance would ache terribly and I just assumed that was normal too and would wear off after a while. It didn't.

It's been about 2 months and it's getting worse and worse; soft foods like pizza can even set it off now. It is extremely painful and I have to take painkillers for it. When it gets irritated, the gum swells up and presses painfully against the wires, but it's always ONLY on the right side.

The two molar bands are at different angles so I think my orthodontist might have put the right side on badly.

Has anybody else experienced pain like this when eating with a nance appliance?
What do I do???