Face changes 6months after braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Nellyfizzle

Face changes 6months after braces

#1 Post by Nellyfizzle »

My appearance is changing dramatically! Does this happen to everyone? I'm trying to figure out if I should keep going or should I get another opinion?

I have maxillary hypoplasia and they're pulling my teeth even further back for my maxillary advancement surgery. But I'm worried because people are saying that your face never recovers from it! Please help I'm panicking... :(

openbytes17

Re: Face changes 6months after braces

#2 Post by openbytes17 »

im not sure what treatment your having, but my face has been ruined by braces too :( i am extremely depressed right now and regret it.

assertives

Re: Face changes 6months after braces

#3 Post by assertives »

Nellyfizzle wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:07 pm My appearance is changing dramatically! Does this happen to everyone? I'm trying to figure out if I should keep going or should I get another opinion?

I have maxillary hypoplasia and they're pulling my teeth even further back for my maxillary advancement surgery. But I'm worried because people are saying that your face never recovers from it! Please help I'm panicking... :(
Your ortho would need to get your teeth and bite in the right position before surgery, and it seems usually at this stage whatever skeletal deformity one has would look more pronounced.

You said you are getting surgery. Which means you will have to go through another round of dealing with facial changes after surgery, so what you see now is not the end result.

I'm not sure what you meant by "your face never recovers from it" though, cos facial changes is kinda the point apart from having a functional bite in getting oral surgery? i.e. you can expect not to look like how you started out after all has been said and done.

Perhaps talk to your surgical team about your concerns and give it some time before you decide to stop treatment?