What would you do??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Smileop

What would you do??

#1 Post by Smileop »

So a quick backstory. Finished Invisalign treatment about about 9 months ago and was pretty happy with the results. Since then I’ve realized I think there is a slight gap between the tips of my front teeth and not completely satisfied with my upper arch as it is not completely round. I called my doctor to express my concerns and kept saying that there is nothing that could be done and they look perfect.

Fast forward I decided to get another opinion at an ortho just to see what they would say. He wasn’t totally pleased with the way my molars are lined up as well as my upper arch. He said the best course of treatment would be a full set of braces and wouldn’t make an ideal camdidate for Invisalign due to some of the movements.

So now my questions. Can another ortho continue my previous treatment using the scans and refinements so I don’t have to pay the whole fee for treatment again? I went with Invisalign the first time and was content with having it and didn’t mind the process so the thought of actually braces is tough to swallow as I leaned against them in the past.

Anyone have any thoughts or input about some of there past expieriences and wanted to fine tune and correct things after treatment i guess is partly over. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Catpotat

Re: What would you do??

#2 Post by Catpotat »

I would book more consultations and seek several professional opinions to help with this decision. If the x-rays and scans are recent enough (usually within 6 months) I think another ortho can use them.
After having both Invisalign and braces, I recommend braces without a second thought. Originally I pushed for Invisalign because they are discrete, but was not happy with the results I was getting and stopped treatment early. Switching to braces was a really hard decision so I understand what you must be going through. But I saw major results a week into braces that 6 months of Invisalign struggled to achieve. My ortho also said there are movements Invisalign can't do, particularly to do with the root which is important for the structural integrity of your teeth.
I know it's not what you want to hear, because I didn't want braces either. Get a few opinions so you have options. But I can assure you that if you need to take that plunge, there's so much support here! :)

Smileop

#3 Post by Smileop »

So went and got 2 other consults and both were pretty similar. They both said I would just be treated as a new patient and correct my concerns from there. Both stated that there are some issues that need to be corrected. It’s tough because I finished treatment with the assumption everything was exactly where it’s supposed to be.

Both orthos said if you made it this far with Invisalign they highly recommend braces to finish the job. One of my consults the ortho actually said while I was sitting in the chair if you want lean on back and we will throw some braces on right now hah. Seems pretty quick and I would not be prepared for that.

If anyone has any advice or comments I’m open to them. It’s hard for me to swallow the pill of getting braces as I have a new job now and wanted Invisalign the first time for a reason. Thanks

assertives

#4 Post by assertives »

Smileop wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 4:23 am So went and got 2 other consults and both were pretty similar. They both said I would just be treated as a new patient and correct my concerns from there. Both stated that there are some issues that need to be corrected. It’s tough because I finished treatment with the assumption everything was exactly where it’s supposed to be.

Both orthos said if you made it this far with Invisalign they highly recommend braces to finish the job. One of my consults the ortho actually said while I was sitting in the chair if you want lean on back and we will throw some braces on right now hah. Seems pretty quick and I would not be prepared for that.

If anyone has any advice or comments I’m open to them. It’s hard for me to swallow the pill of getting braces as I have a new job now and wanted Invisalign the first time for a reason. Thanks
I have traditional metal braces top and bottom, and I was a little conscious when I first got them on, but by the 2 month mark, the only time I think about them is when I was eating.

As most people would tell you, the only person who notice them the most are you yourself, people around you don't usually care or notice. I have found that to be true for my case, both friends and work associates. Also, it's getting more and more common for adults to be undergoing braces treatment, so you'll be suprised how many adults, male and female alike wear braces.

There are some movements and corrections that can really only be achieved with metal braces, and I'm sure you can see that now having tried (and stuck it out with) invisalign. So I guess at the end of the day, it depends how badly you want to correct whatever is bothering you now post invisalign, otherwise, if you really really do not want to get metal braces, you could also choose to stop treatment, accept that the current outcome is as best as it could get and call it a day.

djspeece

#5 Post by djspeece »

I was hoping against hope that I would be an Invisalign candidate, looking fresh, young, happy, and incredibly handsome and carefree just like those models in the Invisalign posters they have stuck up everywhere you look. Of course I wasn't. As Assertives describes, really no one really cares or notices. I had been going to the same Panera restaurant for lunch for months and months when i had braces -- and one day, one of the cashiers who had been there for months and months and who knew me on a first-name basis blurted out, "Oh man, you have braces, did you just get them? Cool." and apparently that was some sort of high praise. Get the braces, you will do fine and will be much more likely to be happy with the final result. Best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Smileop

#6 Post by Smileop »

So after booking a few more consultations and finding an ortho I really did like I settled on one who really seemed to feel for my concerns and inevitably stated that my issues that I was concerned about should be corrected as they could lean to bigger potential issues down the line.

I expressed my concerns of not really wanting braces and my past and decided on trying what she called a functional appliance. She stated it should be able to fix my concerns about my arch and slight gap but couldn’t guarantee the issues with the molars would be completely corrected and would have to continually monitor it.

So I returned this past week and got my appliance fitted and will give it a try and hope for the results I wanted the first time! I ended up getting essentially a lower retainer as well that I will have to wear to help control my lower teeth. She did mention that an option of braces is still on the table if this isn’t moving the teeth as hoped but time will tell. Will keep you guys posted on how things work out

Sizuka

#7 Post by Sizuka »

[quote=Smileop post_id=501857 time=1525260229 user_id=28639]
[/quote]

Every one have a different opinion / needs , but I would like to tell you , that after having a SARPE surgery , and and expander , I now have a huge gap between front teeth .
Its actually as a big tooth is missing . I am of course lisping with some words , my mouth is still hurts a lot ( 3 weeks from the operation ) .
This didn't stop me from applying for a new job and going to several interviews . Yes its not the best scenario , its hurt and you have to explain the situation to not think that someone is beating you :P
But It doesn't matter . They all understand , and actually they see you very positive , as a tough person . As for just the metal braces , nobody see them .
I have a colleague that was wearing them for 1,5 year and only a couple of persons actually notice .

So , don't worry if at the end they asked you to wear metallic braces . Its only you that will know ...

Smileop

#8 Post by Smileop »

So I know it’s been a while and have a bit of an update on my situation. I’ve been wearing the appliance for almost 3 months with slight adjustments being made to help make some corrections. I went in 2 weeks ago and did not have much movement since the previous appointment despite all the adjustments. One set of molars got into great position while the others are really struggling with being tilted and having the gaps closed. My upper arch is looking a bit better but having a tough time lining up properly with my lower teeth. It was a bit frustrating for me and the ortho because we were both hoping for more change.

All this led to my ortho asking what I thought about continuing treatment with another method. She brought up braces again and stated that there’s certain molars in the perfect spot while others need to move and it’s way easier to control the individual teeth. Wanting this whole process to end at this point I gave in to quickest way possible which included braces and some type of appliance for the roof of my mouth to keep certain molars in position.

So after some new molds and some more pictures I ended up getting my bottom braces fitted that morning. I go back this Tuesday for my top braces and appliance. I have to be honest I’m pretty nervous and feeling very self conscience about everything and hoping the process is quick and smooth. As well as hoping I don’t look horrible. Sorry for the long post it’s just my way to rant about the whole thing. Anybody have any idea what kind of appliance it could possibly be. My ortho stated it goes on the roof of my mouth and will keep certain molars in place where they are to help round out my arch. Thanks

jem

#9 Post by jem »

It sounds like it might be a trans-palatal arch. You can find pictures of them if you do an internet search. I never had one but I think they are quite common and people on this site who have had them seem to have adjusted to them OK.

Don't worry, you won't look horrible- you will be the same you and braces will have no adverse effect on your appearance.

Good luck on Tuesday.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

assertives

#10 Post by assertives »

Don't worry, you won't look horrible. You'll find out pretty quickly that nobody realises you had braces and when you get them off, nobody realises you had them off too. :lol:

Smileop

#11 Post by Smileop »

So the other day was the big day. I got my upper braces fitted as well as what appears to be a make shift pendulum appliance. It looks a bit different from a google search the way some of the springs are to help rotate. Man oh man is this appliance intense. It makes my whole mouth feel so extremely small and extremely tight. Hopefully all worth it in the end because it’s already been the longest 2 days

jem

#12 Post by jem »

I hope it is improving. Can you post some pics?
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012

jem

#13 Post by jem »

And did you get metal or ceramic brackets? How long will you have them?