I never got comfortable eating, anyone else?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Heartofdarkness

I never got comfortable eating, anyone else?

#1 Post by Heartofdarkness »

I'm 13 months in. Although it rarely hurts to eat anymore, I've been thinking about that I never got comfortable eating. I've eaten out a couple of times but I decided I don't want to do that anymore before getting them off. I can't exactly describe what it is that makes it uncomfortable, perhaps that everything gets stuck, that there are always something poking (like the hooks), that my lips are constantly rubbing on, and catching on to, the power chains (I have double in some places), I don't know. Food has lost a lot of its fun. Anyone else feels like this?

assertives

Re: I never got comfortable eating, anyone else?

#2 Post by assertives »

Same. I'm into my 9th month of treatment but I've never gotten used to eating "normally". I have noticed myself eating very carefully and not chewing fully because sh*t gets stuck everywhere and I'm ocd af. :( I haven't really lost much joy in food, they still make me happy, but I don't enjoy my favourite food i.e. potato chips as much as I used to though.

coffeelady

#3 Post by coffeelady »

I am in my 5th month of treatment, eating is still one of the more difficult parts! I had extractions so the gaps probably don't help either lol. It's cool though, it forces me to have to make more mindful food choices, and I've learned to stock up on yogurt and ice cream (you know, the healthy stuff ;-) ) I keep telling my husband the first thing I want to do when I get my braces off is to go get a GIANT cheeseburger and take a big bite out of it!!

EmilyTravels

#4 Post by EmilyTravels »

I am looking most forward to taking a bite out of a whole apple -- and raw carrots. Yep, I'm crazy, but those are my cravings. I think it's because I truly don't dare eat them with braces!

assertives

#5 Post by assertives »

:o I can't wait to bite into a corn on the cob!!

EmilyTravels

#6 Post by EmilyTravels »

assertives wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:02 pm :o I can't wait to bite into a corn on the cob!!
Oh yeah -- that's my other craving! I'm gonna start with an appetizer of raw carrot sticks in dip, have corn on the cob dripping in butter for my main course, and an apple for dessert. :lol: :lol: :lol:

pcspinheiro

#7 Post by pcspinheiro »

I myself am pretty reckless about eating and won't deny myself any food I crave because of braces. The only time I ever loosened a bracket was when my little daughter gave me a nasty headbutt on my chin playing at the beach.

EmilyTravels

#8 Post by EmilyTravels »

I have had to have four brackets reglued so far. However, all were on back molars that were crowned. They just don't stick as well on crowns. In each case, they re-etched and reglued them, and so far so good. But I am not taking any chances biting into forbidden foods. I have eaten pizza and a few other "iffy" things, but I would be scared to bite into anything too hard/chewy in the front.