Options for my teeth / Good orthodontist in London?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

heyhey1

Options for my teeth / Good orthodontist in London?

#1 Post by heyhey1 »

Good orthodontist in London?

Has anyone got any advice about finding a good Orthodontist (in London)? I had braces as a teenager but have never been happy with the results, my teeth have moved and I also had wisdom teeth that helped move them that I later had removed. I'm in my late thirties. When I got braces as a teenager I had overcrowding and the dentist removed matching teeth at the bottom (I currently have 2 non matching teeth / non paired). On the top after braces I also had a molar removed as a filling split it in half.

I've had one free initial consultation where pictures were taken and sent to the Orthodontist. They sent me an response.

Orthodontist noticed following issues:

Crowding of lower teeth
Spacing of upper teeth from missing tooth

Because you are missing several teeth including a lower front (incisor) tooth, it will be difficult to achieve complete symmetry without extracting more teeth and Orthodontist does not recommend that as you are missing several teeth already therefore we can improve the symmetry but cannot completely correct it.

Treatment in 12-15 months
No teeth need to be removed
There will be some enamel reduction.
Any braces can be used: metal, ceramic or Invisalign.

Treatment in 18-24 months
Unless you are really concerned by the upper gap, Orthodontist recommends accepting that as it is too small for a false tooth and to create a space for a false tooth but it will make the treatment very long and complex. If you are concerned by the gap then Orthodontist would suggest as it is small gap that we try to close it
No teeth need to be removed
Fixed braces should be used and will cost the same as above but take longer.

The prices were between £3000 - £4000, I contacted another place and enquired on the phone for rough start prices for both arches elsewhere in London and £7000 was mentioned, that seems like a big difference. The consultation fee would be £125 to see the Orthodontist and have pictures taken. Will I have to pay about this much to get other opinions?

bubba3000

Re: Options for my teeth / Good orthodontist in London?

#2 Post by bubba3000 »

its annoying you have to pay soo much just to ask a question

heyhey1

#3 Post by heyhey1 »

I didn't get the braces last year. Getting braces has popped back into my head. I feel it's a shame to get braces for a year or 2 and still not be able to get a good symmetry as my bottom middle six teeth are a bit of a mish mash of mixed teeth in wrong places.

Anybody have any orthodontists to recommend in or outside London.

heyhey1

#4 Post by heyhey1 »

Can I post a picture of my teeth here for feedback on if anything can be done in regards to symmetry of my teeth or do I have to post somewhere else? also how do I post an picture?

assertives

#5 Post by assertives »

You need to have minimum 7 posts on this board before you can post pictures. Alternatively, you can upload your pictures on image hosting sites and then link them in your posts here.

heyhey1

#6 Post by heyhey1 »

Here are some of the pictures the assistant at the orthodontist took that they sent me as one image. I cropped the pictures of my face out.

Othro pic_LIz.jpg
bottomTeeth.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

assertives

#7 Post by assertives »

The asymmetry does not look very obvious to me actually. As you already know, you have different missing teeth at different places, so while treatment could improve some of the asymmetry but a total symmetry is not going to happen. You probably need to manage your expectations a little on that. I would say get at least one more consult with another orthodontist in your area before deciding.

AndAndAnd

#8 Post by AndAndAnd »

I can’t recommend any orthodontists in London, but you should be spoilt for choice there. I’m in Berkshire and the second orthodontist I saw charged £200 for the initial consultation (which would be taken off the overall fee). The consultation lasted over 2 hours and I feel it was good value.

I too had overcrowding on my lower teeth. The first orthodontist I saw also said I would need teeth shaving, but second chosen orthodontist was surprised by that. He merely angled one tooth out for a couple of months to create space for the teeth to be straightened then moved the snaggle tooth back.

I’m not sure anyone on this forum can offer suggestions on the asymmetry, but you may strike lucky if someone with a similar issue is still around, otherwise speak with your dentist about recommending a good orthodontist. They will know for sure if someone is good. Good luck with your search!

heyhey1

#9 Post by heyhey1 »

Thanks for the replies. I booked another free consultation with another orthodontist practice for next week. I think they'll probably look at my teeth and probably take some pictures for orthodontist to look at and give me the prices.

heyhey1

#10 Post by heyhey1 »

I went to an second orthodontist consultation. Different advice from the first consultation I went to regarding the upper gap I have from a missing tooth. Do you think the first advice or this advice could be better? The first advice was from the orthodontist that didn't see me in person but assessed the photos(5 of the photos are posted above) and probably his consultants notes to make the recommendations.

The consultant/orthodontist assistant? recommended that I open up the upper gap area where I have a missing tooth to make space for an bridge or implant to keep the upper teeth balanced. Plus, the back tooth next to the gap has moved/leaned forward into the gap as a bit as nothing is there. The lower teeth wouldn't be as straight forward, due to different teeth, but she mentioned the center line is out, and I assume they'll try and do that. she also mentioned that they could probably camouflage the lower teeth, to make it where people wouldn't really notice unless they knew about teeth or something like that.

The consultant said that I would braces on for about a year. They don't do implants or bridges so I would do that afterwards if I went with them. Also, said that there could possibly be enamel reduction, but depends if they need to or not. She said when I go for adjustments/work that she normally does it. I asked how long she had been doing orthodontics, she said since 2016. She said the main orthodontist is the brains but she does the work.

The price for ceramic braces is just under £4000.

heyhey1

#11 Post by heyhey1 »

Hey guys, so do you think it's better to take the first advice to leave the upper gap/maybe close the gap or the 2nd advice which was to open the gap up in preparation to get an implant or bridge?