Developing an open bite??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cutiepie2404

Developing an open bite??

#1 Post by cutiepie2404 »

So, I finally got my braces after years of yearning for them. I got them 2/1 and had my adjustment on 3/14.

My problems:
~10-12 mm overjet

My ortho put molar buildups on my molars so I can't bite down properly. I got a wire change on my first adjustment from a light, thin, flexible wire to a sturdy and thick one. I've noticed that I'm developing a lisp and a very minor open bite.

I'm wondering if this is normal or a bad sign? I tried looking it up but there were just horror stories about how they developed an open bite and then everything went downhill and had to spend years and years and thousands of dollars to rectify the mistake their orthos made. I'm trying not to scare myself.

Anyone else experienced this? Will it go away? I never had an openbite, only an overjet and a very deep bite. I'm due to get my upper two premolar extractions removed this month, as well.

Thanks!

djspeece

Re: Developing an open bite??

#2 Post by djspeece »

Good questions for your ortho. I can report that for many of us, things got worse before they got better as teeth shifted, were realigned, and so forth. Don't panic. Best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

EmilyTravels

Re: Developing an open bite??

#3 Post by EmilyTravels »

I too have an overjet and did develop a minor open bite after a few months in braces without wearing elastics. The ortho tech said that I had a tongue thrust that was causing the open bite. She was right. They put me in triangle elastics on both side (from top canines to two teeth on the bottom) for a couple of months, and at the same time I did exercises where I'd swallow in front of the mirror with my tongue held back from my teeth and on the roof of my mouth and managed to break the habit. The open bite is now gone!

As long as you catch it early, which you have, it can definitely be taken care of. Talk to your ortho at your next appointment about this, and good luck!