Should I ask to have my braces removed early?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MayBeth

Should I ask to have my braces removed early?

#1 Post by MayBeth »

I’m 18, so I’m not sure if I can be included in this website, but I really need some advice. This is going to be a long story. I’ve had my braces on for exactly 3 years and 6 months. The orthodontist that I’ve gone to has been a nightmare. They over book themselves every appointment so that when I’m supposed to be back in 6 weeks I can’t come back until 8. I spend 2+ hours PAST my appointment time when waiting for each appointment to be called in. A few months ago my orthodontist randomly told me that he was retiring, so I’d have a new orthodontist at my next visit. I was never given a timeframe as to when I could expect them off, no matter how many times I asked. The best I could be ever be given was “it depends.” The new doctor says I need at least 4 more months. The problem is, I hadn’t anticipated having these for as long as I have. There are three really important events coming up for me: senior pictures, prom, and graduation. My college orientation is also at the beginning of June. If don’t know if I have the willpower to wait until the end of June (potentially longer) to take them off anymore. I am so beyond done with everything. I wore my bands like I was supposed, I did everything that I was told. My teeth were not all that bad to begin with. My original orthodontist told me that I’m part of the percentage that just “takes longer.” My new orthodontist says that I’m 95% of the way there and obviously believes that I should wait it out. My teeth are perfectly straight. I can’t get a straight answer as to what I’m still waiting on, the question is avoided by my orthodontist when I ask it. I don’t know what to do at this point. My parents actually support having me take them off. I know that I’m not an orthodontist, and I know that I obviously can’t tell what exactly still needs to be done. I just can’t imagine what difference 4 months can truly make, and I’m sure that sounds naive. What would you do?

Prometheus

Re: Should I ask to have my braces removed early?

#2 Post by Prometheus »

MayBeth, you are most welcome here! I would take the long view, a few more months to get the best result is worth the effort. You are 18, that means statistically you can expect another 62 years with a perfect smile, why not finish the job to get the best result? Initially I was told it would take 24-25 months, and now I'm a few weeks short of three years, but was told today I'll be done soon, another 2 months or so. It was definitely worth the wait to get it done right, with an end result I'll be happy with. I'm comfortable knowing I took my best shot at it. Looking back on your experience a few years from now, you'll have forgotten the extra couple of months. -P
Lower braces on March 11, 2015, upper braces added July 14, 2015.
Damon, metal bottom / clear top.
Braces off March 26, 2018: Total time in braces: 3 years, 2 weeks and 1 day.
Hawley retainers top and bottom.

assertives

Re: Should I ask to have my braces removed early?

#3 Post by assertives »

Those months where you think nothing is really happening or that your teeth are pretty darn straight to you and you can't see how much more straighter they can get, are actually the months where orthos are holding your teeth in their new positions and wait for your bone to stabilize around them.

Taking the braces off prematurely could sometimes cause the teeth to move back quickly to the positions they were in previously especially when the bone formation is not complete. Obviously, the rate of which this happens varies from person to person, hence why sometimes orthos cannot say for certain how much longer you have to go because it depends on how your body responds.

But that said, you can of cos you still go ahead and get the braces removed early. The ortho will probably just get you to sign some paperwork indicating that you understand that your treatment is not 100% complete and to release him from any liability should a relapse occur.

With regard to the upcoming important events, perhaps explore the option of getting the photographer to do some photoshop? In the grand scheme of things, my rationale would be what's a couple of months more compared to having a straight (and stable) smile for the rest of your life?