Spacers and quad helix

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bec123

Spacers and quad helix

#1 Post by Bec123 »

So after years of wanting straight teeth after never being taken to the dentist as a child I took the plunge and went to see an orthodontist. I’m 6 weeks away from having my ceramic braces fitted both top and bottom to straighten my front teeth and correct my bite which has left me with a clicking jaw that moves to fit my teeth together. In two weeks I’m having elastic bands put in (spacers) just wondered if these hurt as I’m only having them in for a week then having them taken off to have my metal bands fitted ( not sure what they are for ) also, to add to my list iv got to have a quad helix fitted as my top jaw is too narrow and have no idea what to expect?

assertives

Re: Spacers and quad helix

#2 Post by assertives »

I personally never had spaces, but I've noticed that a lot people found the spacers to be more painful than the braces treatment. The spaces generally feels like you have pieces of food stuck between your teeth, making them very sore. The metal bands are known as molar bands. They are stronger, and can take chewing forces better than the regular brackets.

That said, it will be different for everyone, not everyone experience pain though. But one thing is for sure, is that you will experience pressure throughout your treatment, especially with the quad helix.

Nozzelnut

Re: Spacers and quad helix

#3 Post by Nozzelnut »

Sorry, the spacers will hurt. The good news is they'll hurt more than braces will.

I had the quad helix. The expansion itself didn't hurt at all. BUT, your tongue will be very sore for about a week. Day 3 was bad but got better after that.

I'm not sure if I retained as much of the expansion as I would have liked. Looking back I think I would have preferred going with SARPE and expander or expansion with my double jaw surgery so any expansion I did get would be more permanent.

I'd bring up the subject with your orthodontist before your next appointment asking specifically about different styles of expansion and the pros and cons of each. There are differences of opinion regarding non surgical expansion for adults actually increasing width or just tipping teeth outward.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!