Adjusting midline

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hdavies91

Adjusting midline

#1 Post by hdavies91 »

Hi all,

I have had braces now for about 8 months with about 6 months left to go. My ortho said the next step is to adjust my upper midline by about 2mm. At the moment I have a gap on the correct side and only my incisors will be moved. My canines are in the right place already How do they usually go about this? Is the only way having elastics across your front teeth and do you have to wear these all the time? I'm not sure I like the idea of having elastics in clear view right across the front of my teeth very much!

Heartofdarkness

Re: Adjusting midline

#2 Post by Heartofdarkness »

I'm in the process of moving my midline right now. :) I have powerchain across and it's not really very visible. I don't know why my ortho didn't give me elastics, maybe because I'm over 30? Anyway, yesterday she added another powerchain across almost all my teeth, on top of the old one which covers a few, so I'm in some serious pain. :twisted:

EmilyTravels

#3 Post by EmilyTravels »

My midline was quite a bit off (at least 2 mm) as well as overjet/class II malocclusion. Within a few days of wearing class II elastics on either side, my midline was corrected. I don't know if this is the usual case, but I did not have to wear an elastic across the front side to side. I'm wearing my elastics full-time. I was surprised how quickly the midline shifted. I know everyone says that elastics don't move your jaws, they move teeth, but in my case, my bite/jaw definitely moved. The overjet is slower to correct and will likely not correct in full, but I am very pleased about the midline!

hdavies91

#4 Post by hdavies91 »

Thank you both. I just thought I would update - I ended up getting a powerchain across the front teeth. I have elastics now but not for the midline, just to deepen the bite slightly. I am now on my final wires..braces off in four weeks!