Please update for those undoing extractions (extraction reversal)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kidolize

Please update for those undoing extractions (extraction reversal)

#1 Post by Kidolize »

Hi! I have same issues about face change and health conditions. And im planning to reopen my space. Any successful outcome for those undoing their extraction!? Is it worth it or not? Thank you in advance..

abro884

Re: Please update for those undoing extraction reversal.

#2 Post by abro884 »

Hey Kidolize

So I think I've mentioned this before - I'm about to undergo reverse upper bicuspid extraction. I think most orthos can and will do it, but only if you are firm and really, determinedly clear that if they do not do it, you've got someone who will. Point is, if it's upsetting you this much, you best inform the ortho because most clinicians ultimately want the best for their patient and when those patients are upset it's unsettling for them.

Mine was defensive but I think a lot of it came from guilt. I think there was a realization that perhaps his advice away from surgery was ultimately more detrimental than useful, especially when the reversal means 18 more months of treatment, lower jaw surgery, gum grafting and 2 implants. But - I'm willing, and I'm certain, and no one could talk me out of it so here we are.

I'll let you know how it goes but the whole thing is going to be reversed with invisalign. Apparently any ortho or even trained dentist can do it - orthodontics is just moving teeth through bone. Because I was a lower jaw surgery candidate before extractions, there is a legitimate reason for reversing it in my case. I would advise you find your legitimate reason, or alternatively a general dentist who KNOWS what they are doing to reverse it.

All I can advise is that you continue to remember that you have options, and that there are people who can reverse this (just $$$). Please don't think all hope is lost. Ad if you can, get the original ortho to do it because that'll save you the big bucks.

smiley1011

Re: Please update for those undoing extraction reversal.

#3 Post by smiley1011 »

Can you please tell me how Invisalign is being used to reverse your extractions? Are you having your arch expanded forward and sideways?

abro884

Re: Please update for those undoing extractions (extraction reversal)

#4 Post by abro884 »

I'm not entirely sure, bit the general dentist I saw said she can do it with anything although braces are easier.

The orthos pretty much said the same thing - either can do it. Invisalign is actually really powerful when applied correctly and can do a lot of root torquing which is crucial.

My palate was never narrow; the incisors were just lingually retroclined. So all they really have to do is procline my front incisors, pull the canines and premolars forward, and push the molars back to reopen the 2nd bicuspid spaces. I was given a year by the gen den before she'd have them back which seems fair, since it took i months to get the spaces 2/3 closed.

I suggest general dentists if orthos are reluctant. Theyre mostly full of sesame when they say they can't. You can open what you close. It's just mechanics - push and pull.

Carla400

#5 Post by Carla400 »

Hello,

I had extractions too, and it has been the a huge mistake. I have gone to an excellent orthodontist, who has won prices and is a University Professor, researcher, and much more, to ask him about reopening the spaces.
Of course, technically it's possible to open the spaces, anyone can do that. The question is, if you are willing to take the risk; pushing teeth out this much might have really bad consequences. You can't just move teeth around as you wish, without any consequences. And maybe, at some point the orthodontist might give up because he/she realizes he/she can't create the space he/she needs to replace the lost teeth. And this is not because of the orthodontist's skill; this is simply biology/ nature, that won't allow your teeth to be pushed out any further, for example because you don't have enough bone. But this is different in each case.

For me, the solution is: I'm getting braces to widen the smile as far as my bone makes it possible; I might get lip injections to fill in the sunken in lips.

I'm sorry since this wasn't either helpful or positive. I don't want to talk anyone out of it, maybe it's possible in some cases. Just be aware that a big procedure like this could be risky.

abro884

#6 Post by abro884 »

I had a lateral ceph done and the resounding opinion was yes, it can be done. I assume it does have risks but I suspect these are overplayed, as I do know a few practitioners who do it quite routinely.

I am aware it can have bad consequences, but to me the consequences of extraction on my face are far worse than the risks of losing teeth.

abro884

#7 Post by abro884 »

I probably should add that my spaces are about 2/3 closed, not entirely closed. Think I have about 2.5 mm gaps each side, and need to get them to 7 so guna need 4.5 mm on each side.

I assume the more closed they are, the harder it is.

abro884

#8 Post by abro884 »

I met with the jaw surgeon today, fyi, and he was supportive of my decision to reverse and revisit surgery. The only real downside is the need for implants, and all the added cost.

Infernalxt

#9 Post by Infernalxt »

[quote=abro884 post_id=500986 time=1521262615 user_id=29061]
I met with the jaw surgeon today, fyi, and he was supportive of my decision to reverse and revisit surgery. The only real downside is the need for implants, and all the added cost.
[/quote]

Hi, I'm also in the process of reversing my extractions. I'm using spring coils at the moment and have managed to open up 5mm of space at all 4 points by pushing the premaxilla forward. As for the rest of the space, were going to push the molars back and then replace with implants. I'm not sure how long my treatment is going to be - so far it has been 4.5 months. I'm very worried about the strain on my teeth etc, and dental implants seem so costly and risky. How do you feel about them?

abro884

#10 Post by abro884 »

Hi infernalxt,

Honestly, I'm doing this because I haven't been able to accept the retraction results. So all the risk is sort've a reality I walk.

The strain on my gums is much more of a concern to me than the teeth themselves. My gums have receeded a fair bit, while the teeth roots are still pretty long and happy.

I have 2.5mm on each side right now and havent started treatment yet. I start in a couple weeks with braces and spring coils (I stopped retractive treatment before the spaces closed).

Currently I"ve been advised it'll take about a year to reach surgery. The anterior teeth will be easy to flare and procline - it's the molars that are hard, and might need tads.

In my opinion, I would rather live with gaps than live with the retraction results. So implants are sortve soso - I have a friend who lost all his front teeth falling off a balconey, and had them all replaced with implants at 21. This is life and you don't get out alive - so I'll accept this.

bubba3000

#11 Post by bubba3000 »

hello, do you live in london, I also am very unhappy with extraction braces results and would like to reverser the procedure, could you give me details of your orthodontist

abro884

#12 Post by abro884 »

Hi I am in NZ. There is Dr Mew in London if you are prepared to pay a million dollars haha...

Or you might look in to general dentists!

yogurtyoga

#13 Post by yogurtyoga »

I didn't have any extraction, but now toward the end of my treatment, I have deep overbite.

piasea

#14 Post by piasea »

Can you give details of dentist or ortho you're using in NZ?

itsblackpepper

#15 Post by itsblackpepper »

I’m currently going through it. I actually had aso surgery which is the surgical route of 4 extractions and retractions. I was swollen for nearly 4 months and after swelling resided I realized that my entire face had changed. I was happy that my mouth was no longer protruding from the profile angle but I’m only 33 and I aged 10 years over night. I have plates and screws in my jaw but I went to a new orthodontist to advance and widen my smile. He’s only using braces (traditional) and I must say that it’s improving slightly. I wish he used a palatal expander but he doesn’t want to die to the plates that sit between my 2nd premolar and cainines. At this point I’m just being patient. The depression has taken over my life. I don’t even leave the house. My face elongated, my cheeks lost fullness, my temples are sunken and my smile looks wonky. I keep you guys updated on the progress