Teeth grinding with braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

USNrecruiterguy

Teeth grinding with braces

#1 Post by USNrecruiterguy »

I have broken the same bite prop 2 times in 4 days and I don’t know why. I assume that it is possibly that maybe I grind my teeth at night. If this is true I had no clue. Has anyone on here dealt with teeth grinding or clenching with braces? Could it have detrimental effects on my treatment? Is it a question I should bring up to my orthodontist? What should I do?

assertives

Re: Teeth grinding with braces

#2 Post by assertives »

I notice myself clenching alot more subconsciously ever since getting braces. My ortho told me to try working on consciously letting my bite relax and it's kinda worked I think. But occasionally, I will still end up clenching especially after an adjustment where there is increased pressure. Do bring this up to your ortho and see what he or she says.

ReaJT

#3 Post by ReaJT »

I have noticed I am clenching my teeth a lot. I’m not sure if I used to do it and I am only aware of it now because I am hyper aware of my mouth or it’s it’s a new development since getting braces. I am trying to relax as soon as I realise I’m doing it but I often wake up with my teeth clenched. I hope I’m not doing any damage or slowing down my progress. Reassuring to hear I’m not the only one tho.

joicetti

#4 Post by joicetti »

When I first got braces I started clenching my teeth. Going into braces I had an edge-to-edge bite and I could close my teeth. When I got braces I got bumpers in my back molars, making it impossible for me to bite down all the way.

I think this is what messed with me the most, because for the first 2-3 months, I would wake up with my jaw completely clenched. I noticed that during the day at work I'd be in front of the computer and would catch myself doing the same thing. I had to make a conscious effort to relax my face and stop trying to close my teeth. Obviously this was possible during the day, but it went on for much longer at night where it was out of my control.

Eventually I think I adjusted, plus the bumpers wore down and my bite began to change to the point where I could once again put my teeth together. It was alarming though in the interim because I didn't want any damage from contorting and clenching my teeth.

braceface95

#5 Post by braceface95 »

I’m finding myself doing the safe thing since I got my braces. I wouldn’t grind or clench my teeth before I had braces and now I wake up with my teeth clenched. My teeth are sore because of this and I don’t want to waste away my teeth.