TPA - can it be easily damaged by hard foods?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ladynatalia

TPA - can it be easily damaged by hard foods?

#1 Post by ladynatalia »

Hi all, I had the transpalatal arch fitted last week in preparation for extractions and braces. I was instructed by the doctor to avoid sticky and very chewy foods such as toffee to prevent the appliance from being "dragged" out or becoming too lose, but no other restrictions so far.

It was quite awkward at first and my tongue hurt for the first two-three days, but that's settled now. I'm still learning to eat properly with the appliance, but it's not been so bad.
However - this morning I had a yoghurt with some granola in it for breakfast. I know for a fact that with the actual braces you're not supposed to eat granola, but the TPA is really thick and the ortho didn't mention anything, so I went ahead and ate the grains. I may be getting a bit (or even completely!) paranoid, but I'm afraid that the wire on one side looks a bit different than on the other now... But I'm not even sure if there really is a difference, or I'm making it up (so it'd be very small anyway, otherwise I'd surely notice). Also, one band of the TPA is fitted on my 7th and the other on the 6th teeth, so it's always been a bit "crooked".

If anyone's had this appliance, do you reckon it would get bent so easily because of granola or am I really making it up? It's fine for now anyway, but I'm getting the extractions in two weeks - I wonder if I should see my ortho before that but I don't want to be bothering them with silly concerns! :D

bracedtodie

Re: TPA - can it be easily damaged by hard foods?

#2 Post by bracedtodie »

TPA issues too! I'm that paranoid person too. I think my wire has wore down in just a day. It's so sharp like a razor on my tongue. I've never been in so much pain and nobody is taking me seriously.

Since it's been a month how are you doing now?