Reopening upper bicuspid spaces (camouflage) and decompensating for jsaw surgery

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

abro884

Reopening upper bicuspid spaces (camouflage) and decompensating for jsaw surgery

#1 Post by abro884 »

Hi guys

Quick note if you're interested....

About a year ago I had two upper premolars removed for camouflage orthodontics. I was offered lower jaw surgery as an option, or removal of 2 bicuspids. I had a class 2 div 1 (7mm overjet), and I went with the bicuspid extraction. This was a biiiiiig mistake. I'm sure for some people it's wonderful, but for me it was not the right move.

The oral surgeon implied i wouldn't be happy with the compromise, as did an endodontist and a dentist. But silly me, I put all my faith in the orthodontist who said he was most comfortable with extractions and here we are today!!

I got to tray 16 of invisalign (retraction), and perhaps 3mm overjet remaining before I clicked - this was not a good call! It has drastically altered my lip support, aged me and honestly my profile is now off. I've been posturing my jaw forward for as long as I can remember and pulling it back feels weird, unnatural and gives me a double chin. I was also chomping my tongue at night because it had less space and couldn't rest naturally.

SO. I emailed my orthodontist and was pretty straight up that I didn't want any more retraction - that or I'd cease treatment - and that I regretted not getting the surgery. I said I'd be willing to do implants - basically whatever it took to get back my expanded palate. He finally got back to me and said he'd change the treatment plan. He ordered a refinement of my trays that would basically reverse the last 15, moving everything in the opposite direction. Instead of class 2 elastics, I will wear class 3s.

Because I've already paid for invisalign, the idea is to do the reversal and prep for surgery in this mode and then swap to braces just prior to surgery. Makes good sense. And I must admit, I was surprised at how open the ortho was to reopening the spaces and having me revisit the surgeon. I'm waiting on my consult and the new trays now.

I really just wanted to let fellow adults (I'm 24 almost 25) know that, should you find yourself halfway through retraction/camouflage orthodontics and really unhappy with the results - do not sit idly by!! It CAN be reversed, with invisalign as well apparently, and you CAN revisit surgery. These are all options. It's expensive and you'll have wasted a lot of time moving in the opposite way, but when it comes to the rest of your life, that time is nothing. I knew, having been retracted only half way, that I was desperately unhappy with camouflage treatment. At least now I go down the surgical route knowing that it really is the only way for me to be happy and content.

So if you are in a rut, and panicking that your treatment has taken your lip support etc (as I was), please do know that it IS reversible and you can do something about it. But you MUST speak up preferably before your treatment has ended, and as soon as you notice those changes. The longer you leave it the harder it becomes. By the looks of it, invisalign can be used to reopen them as well provided your case is right and it involves mainly tipping.

So there you have it, folks. Extraction orthodontics for a class 2 is reversible, so long as you're willing to pay out for 2 implants and undergo lower jaw surgery.