Haven't worn elastics for a week

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

farmboy

Haven't worn elastics for a week

#1 Post by farmboy »

For the past week, I've been laid up with a nasty bout of the flu I got for Christmas, enduring a raging fever and pounding headaches.

Before my illness, for seven months now, I've worn anterior box elastics to help close a significant open bite (without much progress so far, despite diligent wear on my part). Because the elastics only added to the pain from the headaches, I haven't worn them much during the time I've been sick.

My question to any of you who might know: How much of a setback could this be for my treatment?

Thanks very much.

djspeece

Re: Haven't worn elastics for a week

#2 Post by djspeece »

It's hard to say but I wouldn't worry about not using elastics for only a week. I am not sure what the pay-back period is for non-compliance -- i.e., how much catch-up time is needed but i suspect it is probably a 1:1 sort of thing. Not that it is really comparable, but my former trumpet teacher told me that it took 3 days to get my chops back in shape for every day I didn't practice. However that was more about muscle strength than anything. Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying