FAGGA appliance

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nikaM2306

FAGGA appliance

#1 Post by nikaM2306 »

Hi all.
Have a question. Does anybody have an experience with fixed anterior growth guidance appliance for bicuspid extractions
reversal or any other problem? Would be very helpful to hear. So far I have only that option offered.

Charmayl

Re: FAGGA appliance

#2 Post by Charmayl »

I’m looking at this too. Seems like a direct approach with predictable results but a little uncomfortable with all the hardware.

I am looking for a doctor in the LA area who does this. Where/who is your doctor that presented it to you?

Do you still have room for tongue on Palate with the fagga on?

nikaM2306

#3 Post by nikaM2306 »

I am in Toronto, haven't started anything yet, so can't tell anything in terms of comfort. I don't have any other options.
Two dentists that I saw and who do orthodontic work offered that. I couldn't find any information about local orthodontists
who are willing to reverse bicuspid extractions.

nikaM2306

#4 Post by nikaM2306 »

You can try to go LVI website and look for fellow doctors in your area, than look what kind of courses they have done.
If they did controlled arch courses, most likely they are familiar with FAGGA.

nikaM2306

#5 Post by nikaM2306 »

Just figured out it is basically the same appliance as CD advancer, and found few positive comments from a poster from Australia few years ago.But seems to be very bulky , not sure how I will be able to cope with it, I am already suffering from constricted arch after bicuspid extractions.

VanDoorn

#6 Post by VanDoorn »

I got mine installed mid November, it's the version with the springs on the inside most of the pictures I've seen have them on the outside. I haven't seen much change/growth yet but feel free to ask me whatever you like.

nikaM2306

#7 Post by nikaM2306 »

VanDoorn, thank you for your reply. Can you tell me is it a lot of discomfort due to the plastic part behind teeth?
Is it difficult to speak.?Do you want to open spaces from bicuspid extractions?Do you see opening spaces in 2 month and how much? Are you in US or other country? Would be very helpful to know more

VanDoorn

#8 Post by VanDoorn »

I'm 38, had bicuspid extractions top and bottom and braces when I was 13. I had sinus surgery (deviated septum and turbinate reduction) 18 months ago, after this I did a sleep study and still had mild sleep apnea (would have been much worse before). Also have TMJ and postural issues which I'm hoping will be fixed or at least significantly improved. Before getting the fagga I had a tongue and lip tie corrected (cut).

After the appliance I'll be getting invisalign followed by 2 implants to replace the upper bicuspids. The first bicuspids will need to be brought forward so the gap moves one space back for the implants. It's a lot more expensive to get implants but I was concerned about how hard and how long it would take to bring the molars forward and the risk of further gum recession, I already have some from braces.

This is the appliance I have:
http://www.robinatowndental.com/blog/ar ... rgery.html

The plastic bit and the front wire that is bonded to the front 6 teeth isn't uncomfortable. What is a problem at least initially is the springs, you'll hate your dentist for the first 3-5 days and at least the first few times you eat will seem impossible. I worked out how to eat with it pretty quickly and it doesn't bother me much now. There are some foods that are best avoided but I can eat most things no problem. The spacers they put in prior to the appliance aren't much fun for about 3 days. So far the process isn't anywhere near as bad as the first time I had braces, I still remember how painful they are.

Speaking is tricky the first few days but after that it's fine except for a slight lisp on 'S'. I was worried about it prior but didn't care after the first week or so.

I probably have about a 1.5mm gap after 7 weeks, not a lot of progress but apparently that's expected. I don't think the springs are fully activated until the first checkup after getting the appliance (2 weeks ago).

I'm in Sydney, this treatment seems to be more popular in Australia than the US even though the guy who teaches it is from the US (Galella). I was a little sceptical because of this but there seems to be more examples of it in the states now. I saw 3 dentists about the process before deciding.

nikaM2306

#9 Post by nikaM2306 »

Thank you so much for your detailed response. Just wondering why they open space behind bicuspid not in front, seems like it easier to move only 6 front teeth forward? I still have some space open behind canines , first cuspids were removed, so I don't want to pull second cuspids forward, still thinking between that and ALF if I find provider

VanDoorn

#10 Post by VanDoorn »

I had my second bicuspids removed. The appliance opens space in front of the first bicuspid as that is where the maxillary suture is. My dentist said to bring the first bicuspid forward to it's original position as part of the invisalign as it's hard to match colour of the implant with the rest of the teeth and the shape of the tooth would better suit the location for function. From my understanding the ALF and DNA appliances can only achieve very limited forward growth so not sure if that suits your situation. I need width but also a lot of forward growth (8-10mm) so FAGGA was the only option for me.

solo174

#11 Post by solo174 »

hi, nikaM2306, I just this thread and I am interested in the appliance as well. I actually live in Toronto too, could you please recommend the docs that offered the device? I would like a consultation

nikaM2306

#12 Post by nikaM2306 »

[quote="nikaM2306"]You can try to go LVI website and look for fellow doctors in your area, than look what kind of courses they have done.
If they did controlled arch courses, most likely they are familiar with FAGGA.[/quote]

As I mentioned before try https://www.lviglobal.com/listings/

Cnicholas

#13 Post by Cnicholas »

My orthodontist who is very well respected and my two surgeons said they don’t believe this works (?) have said sarpe is the way to go for me.

smiley1011

#14 Post by smiley1011 »

I have a consult lined up for the FAGGA appliance for my 15 year old son.
VanDoorn can you please update your progress. What is the Invisalign plan?
NikaM2306 have you proceeded with FAGGA appliance? If mot what have you decided?
Cnicholas can you elaborate on why your surgeons/ortho does not believe this appliance works?
Thanks for any info

Cnicholas

#15 Post by Cnicholas »

sorry smiley,
they dont believe it works in adults,
I shouldve been clear,
in young people, certainly,
best wishes