Braces and Face-pulling

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Class2Overbite

Braces and Face-pulling

#1 Post by Class2Overbite »

Hi all,

I am a new member with a class 2 division 2 malocclusion (deep bite) and I am getting braces put on my top and bottom teeth at a local university in a few weeks. I am not a candidate for Invisalign according to the doctor I saw, and I cannot afford to go to the orthodontist of my choice, so I am going to settle for this.

I have a question regarding braces and face-pulling. I am worried that braces will pull my teeth and lower maxilla backward, but I need the braces to align my bite and improve my smile that shows no teeth because they recline so much. So I am thinking of buying a reverse pull headgear on eBay to using it every night to offset this. But can I simply connect it to my braces with elastics? Is there anything that I should tell the doctor before I have the braces applied?

Thank you in advance for any help,
T

djspeece

Re: Braces and Face-pulling

#2 Post by djspeece »

First, congratulations on your decision to proceed! I would strongly recommend you discuss your therapeutic goals with your orthodontist, and not undertake any self-treatment, especially anything involving head gear, without their approval. I had traditional braces (Damon), but my understanding is that Invisalign is reserved for cases that do not involve radical movements of the teeth -- so it may be that you have nothing to worry about. But please, discuss things with your orthodontist. Tell your doctor everything. Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

assertives

#3 Post by assertives »

I agree that you should not treat yourself. Please discuss your plans with your ortho. If I'm not wrong, there are special bands (and hooks?) that comes with the braces for accommodating headgear wear.

That said, headgears are usually used in growing children, so I'm not sure a headgear would make a difference in an adult who has stopped growing though.

Dureena

#4 Post by Dureena »

What teeth aren't showing when your smile? If your uppers are reclining then he's unlikely to recline them further.
Discuss with your orthodontist about ways to bring the lower jaw forward.

Stay away from the lookism type sites, some pseudo/bro science with very little basis of long term impact.