upper incisors not in bone

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nowiseethemoon

upper incisors not in bone

#1 Post by nowiseethemoon »

Hello all,
My orthodontist told me my two front upper incisors are not in my bone--they are only in the gums because they are angled so much inward. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue and how long it took for their teeth to move into a more normal position? My upper incisors have not budged at all, and I've been braced for one month. Coincidentally or not, I have bite turbos on the back of these two front teeth because I have a deep bite. I do wonder if somehow the bite turbos are either positively or negatively affecting the movement of these two teeth--I feel a fair amount of pressure on them each morning after clenching at night. My next ortho appointment is not for another 6 weeks, so I can't ask her for a while. Wondering if anyone else has any experiences or insights to share.

Bracingmyself901

Re: upper incisors not in bone

#2 Post by Bracingmyself901 »

I think you might be confused. The tooth needs to be in the bone in order to "live":

Take a SPAM at this diagram of normal tooth anatomy: http://www.levydentalservices.com/wp-co ... natomy.jpg

A tooth needs to be in the bone so that it may receive blood supply and innervation from nerves.

nowiseethemoon

Re: upper incisors not in bone

#3 Post by nowiseethemoon »

Thank you for taking the time to respond! Well that would explain why I can't find anything online. It could be that I misunderstood "intrude into bone" as meaning that the roots were not in bone in the first place, when in fact she meant put further into bone. However, I do recall my conversation with my ortho during which I pointed to where the tops of my roots would be and said I could feel them through the gums (and I do feel something there that feels like what a root would feel like). I thought she confirmed my observation...