Open Bite

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ScrewHead

Open Bite

#1 Post by ScrewHead »

It seems to me that open bite is an impossible thing to treat and ever be sure of a fully stable and satisfactory result. Something I’m learning as I read more about orthodontic care is that there is such a lack of information of agreed guidelines of definitions as to what is determined in different types of open bite and good long-term studies of a large group of people. So it appears that there aren’t any real answers.

How much is an open bite genetic? How much is low tongue posture? How much is mouth breathing? Why is tongue thrust thought to be a culprit when a study stated otherwise?

If it is mouth breathing, then how come all mouth breathers don’t have an open bite? Ect.

There are a lot of questions left unanswered, which has lead me to believe that with the current understanding of orthodontics, long-term stable and satisfactory results with an open bite are currenty impossible.

So I have a question for people, do you have an open bite? Have you had it treated? If so did it relapse? When did it relapse? Was it years later? How many years later?

Did you have speech therapy? Did it help or did the relapse occur anyway? Did you have permiment retainers? Did you relapse anyway? Did you relapse despite doing everything you were supposed to with retainers? How long did it take before a relapse?

Also last, but a very mportant question, has anyone here had their open bite fixed and stay closed for ten years without retreatment? If so, what did you do to maintain those results?

Thanks everyone for reading.

ScrewHead

Re: Open Bite Impossible to Fix?

#2 Post by ScrewHead »

[quote="ScrewHead"]It seems to me that open bite is an impossible thing to treat and ever be sure of a fully stable and satisfactory result. Something I’m learning as I read more about orthodontic care is that there is such a lack of information of agreed guidelines of definitions as to what is determined in different types of open bite and good long-term studies of a large group of people. So it appears that there aren’t any real answers.

How much is an open bite genetic? How much is low tongue posture? How much is mouth breathing? Why is tongue thrust thought to be a culprit when a study stated otherwise?

If it is mouth breathing, then how come all mouth breathers don’t have an open bite? Ect.

There are a lot of questions left unanswered, which has lead me to believe that with the current understanding of orthodontics, long-term stable and satisfactory results with an open bite are currenty impossible.

So I have a question for people, do you have an open bite? Have you had it treated? If so did it relapse? When did it relapse? Was it years later? How many years later?

Did you have speech therapy? Did it help or did the relapse occur anyway? Did you have permiment retainers? Did you relapse anyway? Did you relapse despite doing everything you were supposed to with retainers? How long did it take before a relapse?

Also last, but a very mportant question, has anyone here had their open bite fixed and stay closed for ten years without retreatment? If so, what did you do to maintain those results?

Thanks everyone for reading.[/quote]

claudiofranck

Re: Open Bite

#3 Post by claudiofranck »

Hello:

I have an open bite and I am going for a second round of braces because of it. in my case it didn’t exist before and suddenly I was thrusting my tongue.
After my hygienist noticed it we monitored it for a while and yes, the bite was opening.
My first time in braces was when I was 24 no open bite no thrusting issues.
The open bite was noticed about 3 years ago I am 38 now and going for braces again.
My orthodontist solution is to get a tongue crib and she has given me the option to try tongue spurs first. I haven’t started yet because I am travelling a lot for a project at work and cannot guarantee I can go the appointments so I am waiting for the project to be over and then start treatment and make my final choice on the appliance.
You should ask your orthodontist about those options. I read good outcomes for them though they seem like torture devices.
See what your options are and let us know.

Good luck