Developing an Open Bite While in Braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

EmilyTravels

Developing an Open Bite While in Braces

#1 Post by EmilyTravels »

It seems I've developed an open bite (in front) during my 3.5 months in braces. At my adjustment yesterday, the ortho started me in elastics to start working on that (along with my Class 2 malocclusion that was pre-existing).

Anyone else developed an open bite during braces treatment and/or know why that could happen? I'm perpetually curious, and my ortho is always so busy I tend not to bother him with my questions -- especially with all the knowledgeable folks on here! :D

jfriend33

Re: Developing an Open Bite While in Braces

#2 Post by jfriend33 »

Please post photos or links to photos if you can and of only your teeth.

How much of an open bite are we talking? Could just be your back molars lining up. Need more info

EmilyTravels

#3 Post by EmilyTravels »

jfriend33 wrote:Please post photos or links to photos if you can and of only your teeth.

How much of an open bite are we talking? Could just be your back molars lining up. Need more info
It is not very open, not like most of the photos you see online of open bites, but a little more than when I started. I guess I actually had an open bite from day 1, but it has gotten more prominent lately. I suspect you're right about the back molars lining up. I haven't had a chance to take/upload photos in the past week, but will try to do so soon.

Mpkh

#4 Post by Mpkh »

I developed an open bite about 4 months into braces. My ortho put me in a night time elastic box configuration. Had it for 3 months and it fixed my open bite beautifully.
Braced: April 07, 2017
Debraced: February 08, 2019
Sentence: 18-24 months
Actual time in braces: 22 months and 1 day
Reason: Straighten teeth, correct crossbite and edge-to-edge bite

http://myjourneyandlifewithbraces.blogspot.ca

EmilyTravels

#5 Post by EmilyTravels »

Mpkh wrote:I developed an open bite about 4 months into braces. My ortho put me in a night time elastic box configuration. Had it for 3 months and it fixed my open bite beautifully.
Thank you, Mpkh! I checked out your blog and see where your open bite developed and was fixed. That is very encouraging! :jump:

My ortho didn't put me in the box elastics yet, but I'm amazed to see how much better my open bite is after just five days in a class 2 triangle elastics configuration. I just got elastics for the first time at my last appointment on Monday, Dec. 11th, and amazingly, my bite seems better already.

Here are my photos -- also for jfriend33, who asked about them.

Bite right before braces: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nir7280ikz6iuml/bite.JPG?dl=0

Bite one day after getting elastics (3.5 months in braces) -- this shows how much more open my bite had gotten in braces:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oc10jq58ckxd3 ... 1.JPG?dl=0

Bite five days after getting elastics: https://www.dropbox.com/s/031y2b3kmlp5k ... 1.JPG?dl=0

I forgot to mention in my original post above that I found out at my last appointment that I am thrusting my tongue on the back of my upper teeth when I swallow, which may be why the open bite developed. I am working on not doing that and trying to break the habit. I don't want to undo the orthodontia once I'm debraced, that's for sure.