Has anyone noticed a change in their wrinkles?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rubyteeth

Has anyone noticed a change in their wrinkles?

#1 Post by rubyteeth »

I'm just starting with braces and i'm 45 yrs old. My ortho has told me that because he will be bringing my upper jaw forward so much ( nearly a cm if it all works how he hopes) then my face will be more filled out and my wrinkles will iron out. Which at my age is a real incentive!! Did anyone else find that their wrinkles smoothed out with the change in face shape? And yes- i realise i'm vain, but i'm doing this all for TMJ problems and jaw problems but i'd love to know there was another upside to having to be a metal mouth for 2 yrs!

EmilyTravels

Re: Has anyone noticed a change in their wrinkles?

#2 Post by EmilyTravels »

Are you having jaw surgery in addition to braces? If not I am curious how your orthodontist is going to bring your upper jaw forward so much.

I would love if braces would help my wrinkles, as I am 56 and have plenty, but so far I can't tell any difference.

rubyteeth

#3 Post by rubyteeth »

Hello, no i'm not having surgery but just a ( industrial sized?) palette expander and then a full set of braces. My upper jaw has collapsed into my face as i've aged and so he believes that he can get it back to where it once was... he admits it's a HUGE change, and is hoping for 7mm, but 9 is the goal. I spoke to a lady going through the same thing and she said it's amazing - the change in her breathing was incredible as he sinuses expanded- but she was the one to tell me that she had noticed her wrinkles all smoothed out and i wondered if anyone else had noticed that. Since i'm spending over $10k for it all to be done- im hoping that it might give me a bit of a facelift in the process!! How long have you had yours on for?

Beemur

#4 Post by Beemur »

I was just speaking to my boss about this! She had invisalign like me so I get a lot of tips off of her but she said one of the things shes most happy about is that her wrinkles around her mouth (I think she called them the 'smile lines') have smoothed out quite a bit because she had a very narrow upper jaw and it was expanded quite a bit so her wider upper arch helped fill out some loose skin. She was showing me photos from last year compared to now and I was so amazed! Obviously it's not a massive change but it's definitely noticeable, it's something I never would have thought of to be honest. The orthodontist said he's had quite a few of his older patients who aren't extraction cases comment on a fuller face, it's amazing how much teeth can make a difference.

EmilyTravels

#5 Post by EmilyTravels »

rubyteeth wrote:Hello, no i'm not having surgery but just a ( industrial sized?) palette expander and then a full set of braces. My upper jaw has collapsed into my face as i've aged and so he believes that he can get it back to where it once was... he admits it's a HUGE change, and is hoping for 7mm, but 9 is the goal. I spoke to a lady going through the same thing and she said it's amazing - the change in her breathing was incredible as he sinuses expanded- but she was the one to tell me that she had noticed her wrinkles all smoothed out and i wondered if anyone else had noticed that. Since i'm spending over $10k for it all to be done- im hoping that it might give me a bit of a facelift in the process!! How long have you had yours on for?
Check the graphic ticker under my post! :D

That's great that your ortho might be able to do that. I didn't realize they used palette expanders on more "mature" folks. Hope it works out well for you!

rubyteeth

#6 Post by rubyteeth »

I'm not sure if it's a real palette expander like they use on kids, i've heard that it's not possible on adults but i've seen the device and it looks like a medieval torture implement designed to 'rack' my teeth and upper jaw forward and outwards so i called it an expander for want of a better word. It certainly looks painful!!
My Dentist is known for his great work on adults and has a huge passion for changing the mechanics of breathing and structure through ortho so that is why i went with him. He's retiring this year so i was his last client. And he doesn't come cheap so i hope it all works!

He did say that i would need a new passport as my face structure will change so much, and the new digital technology won't recognise my new face.

I'm only on day 5 so i've yet to see if he's right!

middleagedladywithbraces.com

EmilyTravels

#7 Post by EmilyTravels »

Ah, all very interesting! I sure hope for the $$ you are spending it will work. Sounds like you have a very good dentist.

I checked out your blog and will follow along, as I am a geek for things like this. I surely wish you the best in fixing your issues. By the way, I think you are very attractive now; I hope you won't be disappointed in the changes in your appearance. I'd be thrilled to look like you!

rubyteeth

#8 Post by rubyteeth »

yes it's a lot of $!

Thank you for your nice words- i did check out your blog- I too am a nerd for things like this and you look very similar to me! I even had glasses but i had Laser eye surgery a few years back so i no longer need them.

I tried to get the ticker thing but i think i need to be a Full member before it will let me use it!