Back in braces at 45!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rubyteeth

Back in braces at 45!

#1 Post by rubyteeth »

Hello everyone, I had braces as a kid but now i'm back into them to correct the overbite that regressed. I have just started- i'm only 5 days into the spacers and wonder how i'm going to deal with the next 2 yrs! I hope there are others my age out there who are doing this and can assure me that you do get used to the things on your mouth!

Ali

Re: Back in braces at 45!

#2 Post by Ali »

Hi! I'm 47 and got braces a couple of months ago. I saw your posts in another thread and checked out your blog, too. :)

While I don't need an expander, I do need to have my upper teeth flared out to fix a crossbite and posterior open bite. Apparently I don't have *enough* of an overbite. Good luck with the spacers and the appliance!

You will get used to everything, but sometimes the teeth let you know they're moving. And I used a lot of wax in the beginning.

rubyteeth

#3 Post by rubyteeth »

Hello!
thanks for the advice- i think it's going to be painful- I remember some of the problems that I had with braces the first time around and i'm dreading it! I remember the wax- though when i ran out i used to use the red wax from the edam cheese as a home remedy!

Good luck with yours- are you noticing any changes yet?

Ziggy

#4 Post by Ziggy »

Got mine at 68. Now I'm at the retainer stage and I'm glad I did it. All I can say is it was a bizarre adventure.

rubyteeth

#5 Post by rubyteeth »

Wow! well done for going through it, I just wish i'd done it earlier....
Rubyteeth

middleagedladywithbraces.com

Ali

#6 Post by Ali »

rubyteeth wrote:Hello!
thanks for the advice- i think it's going to be painful- I remember some of the problems that I had with braces the first time around and i'm dreading it! I remember the wax- though when i ran out i used to use the red wax from the edam cheese as a home remedy!

Good luck with yours- are you noticing any changes yet?
Oh, yes, my bite changes almost every day. I bought a lip retractor and am taking weekly progress photos, and can see the changes there as well.

Brilliant idea to use the wax from edam cheese!

rubyteeth

#7 Post by rubyteeth »

do you have progress photos anywhere we can see? just out of interest to see how fast things change even at this age!!
Rubyteeth

Bracefacemom47

#8 Post by Bracefacemom47 »

Hi! I'm 47 and just got mine yesterday.

rubyteeth

#9 Post by rubyteeth »

Hurrah for you!! I'm dreading the first few weeks... Let us know how you get on :D
Rubyteeth

Bracefacemom47

#10 Post by Bracefacemom47 »

Glad to see others my age here :) My ortho is posting photos on their FB of their new clients and they are all teens! Where's the adults?! Lol

Inside lower cheeks getting shredded. Wax on, wax off. Lol I think I've lost a few pounds too. Added bonus! No pain, just itchy teeth. Weird is a perfect description for this metal mouth. I feel self conscious when I smile too. At least I have pretty Christmas colors in my mouth. (Red/green alternating)

jfriend33

#11 Post by jfriend33 »

Bracefacemom47 wrote:Glad to see others my age here :) My ortho is posting photos on their FB of their new clients and they are all teens! Where's the adults?! Lol

Inside lower cheeks getting shredded. Wax on, wax off. Lol I think I've lost a few pounds too. Added bonus! No pain, just itchy teeth. Weird is a perfect description for this metal mouth. I feel self conscious when I smile too. At least I have pretty Christmas colors in my mouth. (Red/green alternating)
Good for you! Always bugged me seeing 20-40yos with clear or silver ligatures! So boring!

Bracefacemom47

#12 Post by Bracefacemom47 »

Thanks! My 14 yr old daughter thinks it's weird but i don't care. I will do seasonal colors :) next month is silver and blue. I dont like that they are Cowboy football colors (even though we live in TX). We are from northern CA and always a Niner fan! I had to chew out the orrho for not having gold O bands. Ugh!!! Lol!!!

Ali

#13 Post by Ali »

rubyteeth wrote:do you have progress photos anywhere we can see? just out of interest to see how fast things change even at this age!!
Just saw this! I haven't put the photos online yet, but I will try to do so soon.

Bbyrd

#14 Post by Bbyrd »

I have “appliances” as well. Expanders but not palate expanders. The top is pushing my front teeth out and the bottoms are pushing my back teeth backwards! I got them on 9/27/17 and I can see a change already! I call them torture devices!! They really do suck but I have gotten used to them. The worst part now is getting all the food unstuck from the wires. My dentist was kind of skeptical but I begged for “expanders” instead of pulling 4 teeth. I just saw him again last Friday and he was surprised at the progress. He said “we might just pull this off”! Haha! I go back the 19th of Jan so I’m excited to see what happens at that appt.

HarryO

#15 Post by HarryO »

Good luck......got my tops done with clear at 64 about 1 mo. ago and love them. A bit annoying during and after eating but well worthwhile so far as can see changes already. May be a different story once bottoms go on and with elastics, etc. later as they are prescribed but so far so good. The expectation has been much worse than reality thus far. What will your treatment plan entail?