Getting Damon Braces Before Traveling

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BlueButterfly

Getting Damon Braces Before Traveling

#1 Post by BlueButterfly »

Hello all,

I will be leaving to live in another country for about 4 months, in a week from today. I really really wanted to get my damon braces on before I leave as I already feel old and don't want to waste more time. However, the orthodontist told me I would require 3 extractions prior to getting braces. The orthodontist doesn't think it's crazy to get that done before I leave, however, he agrees that it would be more 'ideal' to get that done once I'm back. I wanted to hear more opinions from people who have gotten braces and done extractions before.

djspeece

Re: Getting Damon Braces Before Traveling

#2 Post by djspeece »

I had a couple of extractions and a bone graft just prior to braces, but I waited several weeks or more as I recall -- perhaps due to the bone graft needing time to mature. The extractions and graft were uneventful. So in theory it could work, but if you had any issues with the extractions (not that common despite the "horror stories" that abound on the web) then you could have issues find appropriate treatment, depending on what country you are travelling to, and I suppose your health insurance. Several of us have reported brackets popping off in the beginning of treatment, often due poor adhesion with crowns. I play these things conservatively, and would probably wait until I was back in the country. Best of luck to you, in any event.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

assertives

#3 Post by assertives »

Since you are going to leave in about a week, it may actually be more ideal and less of a rush to get braced after you are back.

But regarding getting braced after extractions, I know of people who get the extractions and braces installed on the same day. Personally, I got braced 10 days after my extractions.

Nozzelnut

#4 Post by Nozzelnut »

I'd actually wait on everything until you get back. It's just another 5 months and then you'll be local for any problems or issues that might come up.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!