Please help - do you honestly wear your full-time elastics all the time?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nybizzle

Please help - do you honestly wear your full-time elastics all the time?

#1 Post by nybizzle »

I've had elastics since my 4 month adjustment in September. They were in the class III configuration, so they weren't too visible when I was talking. I had my 6 month adjustment yesterday, and they gave me a "box" configuration of elastics on the left side, and a class II one on the right. I'm still supposed to wear them full-time. The box one is super visible when I'm talking and makes me hesitant to wear them at work; it kinda looks like I have a piece of saliva or white cheese on the side of my mouth. Do you think it would be okay if I just wore the box one as soon as I got home, and on my days off as well? I work 3-4 days a week, 12 hour shifts, so I'll probably still be wearing them the majority of the time anyway. I would still wear the class II one full-time.

I've read posts on here from people saying didn't wear their elastics when they were at work cause it was awkward, but still had a lot of movement in their bite despite not wearing them all the time. I know that it's definitely better to wear them full-time, but the visibility of the box one is a bit of a problem for me. Do any of you not wear your full-time elastics all the time? If you don't, has it had a negative impact on how quickly your bite improved?

Tyrantblade

Re: Please help - do you honestly wear your full-time elastics all the time?

#2 Post by Tyrantblade »

I always wore my elastics basically 100% of the time; only exceptions were if i was eating, forgot to bring elastics (happened only a few times), or if the Ortho said i could wear elastics only at home (only happened with a couple configurations thats would of been hard to maintain out and about)
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

nybizzle

#3 Post by nybizzle »

Tyrantblade wrote:I always wore my elastics basically 100% of the time; only exceptions were if i was eating, forgot to bring elastics (happened only a few times), or if the Ortho said i could wear elastics only at home (only happened with a couple configurations thats would of been hard to maintain out and about)
What kind of configurations did you have? Were you worried about how visible they were, or you just sucked it up?

Tyrantblade

#4 Post by Tyrantblade »

nybizzle wrote:
Tyrantblade wrote:I always wore my elastics basically 100% of the time; only exceptions were if i was eating, forgot to bring elastics (happened only a few times), or if the Ortho said i could wear elastics only at home (only happened with a couple configurations thats would of been hard to maintain out and about)
What kind of configurations did you have? Were you worried about how visible they were, or you just sucked it up?
I had all kinds of configurations (ive never had to do a box or though) since i had elastics since day 1.

I never cared much about how visible they were, if they didn't make it hard to drink water or talk thats all that mattered.
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

Ziggy

#5 Post by Ziggy »

I "tried" to wear my elastics all the time but it was impossible. I'd go out to eat, take my elastics out or swallow them, and realized it was just too much trouble to put them back in before I got home. I'm no ortho, but I truly believe that if you slip up now and then your treatment won't suffer. If the problem is putting them on and taking them off your ortho should be able to adjust the hooks the elastics fit on, and you can get this tool called an "elastic placer" on Amazon. That little tool really helped me out.