Elastics results

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dianaioanab

Elastics results

#1 Post by dianaioanab »

I know there have probably been hundreds of topics like this, but if i try to search 'elastics', it says that there are too many results and that i should try searching something else, and if i search 'elastics results' or 'elastics time results' it says 'ignored: elastics' or 'ignored: elastics time', leaving me with a search for 'results'. Yeaaaa, super informative, i totally wanted to see everybody's results in apparently anything other than wearing elastics :lol: . So, please, bear with me.
I have been wearing elastics for 3 weeks to correct my overbite/overjet. So far so good, i think i must've gotten a mm of space between my canines and premolars, which is great. My overjet is a good 4-5mm I'd say, my ortho never told me, but I did some measurements myself and I think they is pretty accurate, god knows I tried. Anyway, I never had any teeth pulled. On my upper arch my wisdom teeth are fully erupted, on my lower they are not (yet), but they have enough space. How much of that overjet can i correct? I mean I don't even know how I got that 1 mm, let alone how am i gonna get 4 considering my upper arch is full. As far as I know the bottom won't move, I can't exactly grow my jaw at 21 yo, so the change must only come from the top, right? How much did you correct, how long did it take? I'm mostly interested in class ii correction, especially non-extraction cases.

SinkFullOfDinner

Re: Elastics results

#2 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

Hopefully this is helpful without freaking you out on the duration issue. I was about 4-5mm class II (not sure about overjet; didn't pay attention), a little more on one side than the other, non-extraction, and all wisdom teeth in, like you were asking about. There were some other things to fix, like cross-bite and open bite and 6-8mm crowding, so I'm not sure how much that added to the wonderful elastics experience. Happy to say that all of the class II has been resolved, along with pretty much everything else. So, hurray.

I'm not sure how much they were able to move the whole top arch back with all three sets of molars there (probably not much), but they created space to move things back by doing several rounds of IPR on the premolars and molars. The rest of the class II correction probably came from the lower arch moving forward with the elastics use. I know that flaring on the lowers became an issue when the lower arch moved forward, so once again IPR came to the rescue, but was more focused on canine and forward for that. They may have some other tricks available, but IPR and a bunch of elastics configurations seem to be the primary tools they used.

So, all good with the class II, even with wisdom teeth in. The primary drawback is that I've had full-time elastics for all but two months out of the last 18. Like I said, don't panic. Some of that is certainly due to the other corrections. It sounds like you're already moving much faster! I'm sure your ortho will be able to take care of everything and yours will go a lot faster, so don't worry.