Adult palate expansion and face pulling

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jamone

Adult palate expansion and face pulling

#1 Post by jamone »

Hi everyone

I was wondering it anyone on here has had any experiences/treatments with Dr Mew? I have a narrow palate with deep bite and recessed jaw so ideally looking to hear from adults who went down the palate expansion/face pulling route with him and what were the results like? There is not a great deal of evidence out there of significant changes in adults so I'm weighing up going down this route or opting for surgery but its such a big decision. I'm sceptical that enough change can be achieved with the holistic approach and I might have to bite the bullet and get surgery for deep bite/narrow palate and recessed jaw. He speaks a lot of good things and seems to know his stuff so I'm hoping you guys can shed some light...

maubes

Re: Adult palate expansion and face pulling

#2 Post by maubes »

I also would thank anyone who can share their experience with Mike Mew orthotropics or other kind of non-surgical palate expansion with changes in appearance. I had a bad experience with dental braces many years ago with dentist that couldn't care less about the functional effects of braces. Many other adults who look for the same answers over the net would appreciate more information about Adult palate expansion

leprechaun

#3 Post by leprechaun »

I've recently had a consultation with an orthodontist who claimed that all non-surgical expansions in adults are unstable.

For what I've seen online, the results are non-existent. The few widely circulated befores/afters that depict tangible changes seem very suspect (in regards to camera angles, lighting, head posture, etc.).

I believe mew is also cautious not to over-promise results, so I wouldn't place too much faith in such techniques. If they were effective, I'd imagine surgery would only be considered as a last option for correcting retrognathia.

hoixhoix

#4 Post by hoixhoix »

Hi! I'm also wondering about palate expansion. Does anyone know of or have experience/opinions about Hawley expansion? I would greatly appreciate it!

Background story:
I'm 30 and I've been going around for way too many years trying to figure out what treatment would be the best to mend my crooked teeth and hopefully win some breathing abilities at the same time. I was convinced about ALF because I have understood that my jaw and all is too small and the ALF seemed like the most natural and well working apparatus. Then I visited one ALF dentist who told me that it was unnecessary for me to spend that much money and that I could do the expansion by my self by using the tongue right, and correct the alignment with Damon braces. The dentist seemed very nice and recommended me to find a local dentist that uses Damon so I wouldn't have to travel abroad (because he and other ALF dentists are not in my country unfortunately). So, then I found a "holistic" dentist close to where I live who also seems nice, but now she is recommending me to expand the palate first with Hawley expansion. Yet again I'm confused. I don't know if I need an apparatus to expand or if the result would be better with one. But I also don't know anything about the Hawley and that's where I'd like to hear other peoples opinions/stories. I just want to get started but I feel like it might be a waste of money and time if i start with the Damon if I really need the expansion first, or the other way around, that it will just take longer and be more expensive if I start with the expansion.

I appreciate any help I can get!
Thanks!
Anna

Jaydee83

#5 Post by Jaydee83 »

I haven't used Dr mew but I have recently undergone sarpe surgery with a palatal expander and its all gone really well I was told that expansion in adults is near impossible as all the bones are fused I am happy with how things are going hope you find the right decision for you, all the best