Tips after getting braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

IssaAnon

Tips after getting braces

#1 Post by IssaAnon »

Hey everyone,

Im getting braces on Monday at the age of 26. Apparently I need to make a certain amount of posts before I can view pictures and stuff. So I thought I might as well make a post. I was wondering if there's anything you wish you knew when you first got braces that you learned later in your journey.

Thanks

Tyrantblade

Re: Tips after getting braces

#2 Post by Tyrantblade »

Cant say that i was bothered by much except for sharp ends of wire on a few occasions; once was particularly bad and resulted in a very painful cut; but it healed quick once i got it clipped.

So try to make sure you dont have any sharp ends before i leave after any appointment; also sharp ends can still happen even if you dont leave with any in the course of a few weeks after an appointment; but most dont get big enough to cause anything like the bad cut i had once.

Also bite turbos suck if you get them, but its temporary and they usually wear down after a few weeks (but they may rebuild them).

And ive grown to hate elastics since ive had to wear them pretty much all the time since i got braces on day one.

And ive had one bracket pop off 4 times because the tioth its on is right next to a Pontic (fake tooth) which moves a lot when i eat if im not careful; which may be part of why i still have braces, but it wont be for much longer (until November 6th).
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

MissEvaH

#3 Post by MissEvaH »

I wish I'd known how stained my Damon clear brackets would get; I might have gone for metal instead.

Just know that no matter what they throw at you, you will get used to it all eventually. I thought I'd been through it all in the year and a half I've had braces but they added lingual buttons 10 days ago and I'm used to them already. I thought I'd never get the hang of putting on zig zag elastics or get over the claustrophobic feeling of sleeping with my jaw practically wired shut but I have.

It's an adventure!

Cheekygremlin

#4 Post by Cheekygremlin »

Will be interesting to see everyone's tips, I am still getting used to mine.

assertives

#5 Post by assertives »

MissEvaH wrote:Just know that no matter what they throw at you, you will get used to it all eventually.

It's an adventure!
This. I totally agree with this. The human body is amazing at adapting. It hasn't been very long (3 months in my treatment) and I'm already not conscious of it most of the time.

strinder

#6 Post by strinder »

There's nothing that I really wish I had known before as I've found everything I've learnt just part of the braces experience.
The only thing that might've helped is buying all the paracetamol and ibuprofen before I got them applied because I was a bit overwhelmed with how bad my teeth hurt.

djspeece

#7 Post by djspeece »

I'd also recommend you search "tips" in the search box at the top of the forum -- you'll get many pages of ideas ranging from waterpiks to emotional issues.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

sim3jam

#8 Post by sim3jam »

I forgot which video I saw it in but its best to put on lip balm when you have your braces put on. I regretted not having them on since my mouth felt so dry.