When did you start noticing changes after getting braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

EmilyTravels

When did you start noticing changes after getting braces?

#1 Post by EmilyTravels »

I admit it, I'm obsessed with determining when my teeth are starting to move!

I got my braces (self-ligating, like Damon but a different system) almost four weeks ago, and I can't tell if any movement has begun or not. My teeth look exactly the same to me as the day I got them on.

I'm thinking my teeth might be very slow to move because of my age (56). I read one older post from someone my age who said at this age teeth move like they embedded in concrete; i.e., very sloooooooowly.

When did you start noticing changes after getting your braces? Thanks!

assertives

Re: When did you start noticing changes after getting braces?

#2 Post by assertives »

I noticed changes by the 3rd week, but then my teeth were kinda messed up, so even little changes were quite obvious. One thing I found kinda help was to take photos constantly. You can really see the difference with side by side comparisons.

jole958237

#3 Post by jole958237 »

I saw changes in my bottom arch after about two weeks (just about starting on the 4th week now), and felt it too as it became easier to slide the floss in between some teeth. Haven't seen any changes on top yet but it's super crowded other than the extraction gaps so maybe it's harder to see.

FlyByNight

#4 Post by FlyByNight »

Within a week I saw my lower incisors starting to straighten out. You’ll notice results soon. If you feel the pain, they’re moving.

Momto5boys

#5 Post by Momto5boys »

I noticed about 2-3 weeks in. (I have traditional metal). I had "buck teeth" and crowding on the bottom. I'm 41yrs old. I'm now in my 4th month.

damoz

#6 Post by damoz »

about 2.5 weeks (last night lol).. I guess look at the gaps as the initial movements might be very subtle, fractions of a millimeter so gaps are the easiest place to notice if they appear.. get wider.. or close up.

definitely take some pics every 7 or 14 days.. if anything you'll have history to look back on!

EmilyTravels

#7 Post by EmilyTravels »

I have been taking photos once a week but have not seen any differences yet. I'm due for a new set of photos tomorrow, so I'll be looking closely. I really didn't have much soreness after getting new wires on the 18th, but self-ligating are supposed to hurt less than traditional ligating brackets, so I'm not sure. Thanks for the feedback, and I hope I'll be seeing some changes soon!

:tingrin:

Momto5boys

#8 Post by Momto5boys »

EmilyTravels wrote:I have been taking photos once a week but have not seen any differences yet. I'm due for a new set of photos tomorrow, so I'll be looking closely. I really didn't have much soreness after getting new wires on the 18th, but self-ligating are supposed to hurt less than traditional ligating brackets, so I'm not sure. Thanks for the feedback, and I hope I'll be seeing some changes soon!

:tingrin:
Can you feel any difference when flossing? That was my first clue my teeth had started to shift...teeth that were very hard to floss between suddenly became a little easier.

EmilyTravels

#9 Post by EmilyTravels »

Momto5boys wrote: Can you feel any difference when flossing? That was my first clue my teeth had started to shift...teeth that were very hard to floss between suddenly became a little easier.
Actually, I do think I'm noticing that! My teeth are crowded, especially on the bottom, so it's not like big gaps are opening up, but a few of them are easier to floss between than they were, even if they appear to be in the same place. :D

Aaeolien

#10 Post by Aaeolien »

I hardly saw any movement on the top teeth, but within a week once the bottoms went on I was seeing movement. Now we are a few months in and I hardly see anything. I can see my bottoms still wonky but had rectangular wires put in this past week and seems like they aren't doing anything. Bottom 2 middle teeth are like buck teeth right now. Bite is all wonky as well. front teeth all crashing together and molars not touching.

Heartofdarkness

#11 Post by Heartofdarkness »

Week 6 I noticed big changes. Let me see if I can insert a pic. http://oi68.tinypic.com/o8ct52.jpg

Tyrantblade

#12 Post by Tyrantblade »

Small changes started happening in a couple weeks (noticeable teeth movement), big changes started happening in a couple months (more points on contact between my top and bottom rows of teeth; as i used to only have contact on my molars)
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

burgers144

#13 Post by burgers144 »

I started noticing changes about like a month or two in, but i saw my teeth getting more crooked than straight. After about the 6 month mark I could tell a big difference and my teeth were straighter than ever

EmilyTravels

#14 Post by EmilyTravels »

burgers144 wrote:I started noticing changes about like a month or two in, but i saw my teeth getting more crooked than straight. After about the 6 month mark I could tell a big difference and my teeth were straighter than ever
Excellent! I'm now a little over 4 months in and definitely can see changes, especially in my lower arch, which is much straighter and more level. The upper is more leveled out (lengths of the incisors) but not much straighter, just a little bit. The wire up on the top is not as thick, though. Hoping for a thicker wire at my next change and a straighter arch at the six month mark, like you.

Ironmb

#15 Post by Ironmb »

I noticed almost 3 weeks after getting them on. My extractions however... have been taking a while to close. Left aide has closed almost fully and the right side had about 1mm left...