Losing weight with braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

WanderingWallflower

Losing weight with braces?

#1 Post by WanderingWallflower »

Hello, I was wondering if anyone else lost weight since they got their braces? I've had my upper for two months and my lower for one month. I've lost a total of 11lbs since then. It's quite worrying since I've always been underweight and just recently achieved an average weight. How do you combat this?

assertives

Re: Losing weight with braces?

#2 Post by assertives »

I didn't lose any weight. In fact, I think I gained. :lol:

Was your weight loss due to not consuming enough calories because you weren't able to eat due to pain? If that is the case, you could perhaps try nutrition milk such as ensure and baby food until your teeth hurt less to eat properly.

EmilyTravels

Re: Losing weight with braces?

#3 Post by EmilyTravels »

I had my jaw wired together due to a fracture in April (bike accident). I kept my weight up by having lots of delicious home made milkshakes with extra protein powder added. My favorite was chocolate milkshake + vanilla protein powder + peanut butter. Tons of calories!

I also had healthy fruit/veggie smoothies and soups, but I am sure the milkshakes kept me from losing more than 3 lbs. over a five-week period. I was also thin going into this so did not need to lose weight. I also used whole-milk yogurt in my smoothies for some extra calories.

I've had braces for three weeks now and have not lost any weight, but I am able to eat pretty much normally, avoiding only things like apples, carrots, almonds, and really chewy things -- and popcorn, of course.