How Long Did you Have your Palate expanders in For and how Much Movement did you get?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

2Low4U

How Long Did you Have your Palate expanders in For and how Much Movement did you get?

#1 Post by 2Low4U »

Hi All,
I'm 38 Male from P.E.I. Cananda.
Just Trying to get a General Consensus.
I am in the final Stages of my Palate Expanders, I have a Metal in the upper jaw and a retainer style in the lower jaw.
I had mine in since July of 2017 and When I was in to my Orthodontist this past week, I was told that my lower Expander will be removed & braces will be going on next appointment, (October 17th 2017)
My Palate was measured at 30 mm before expansion and he wants it to go to 36 mm.
What was your length of time and the expansion of your Palate ?

Bbyrd

Re: How Long Did you Have your Palate expanders in For and how Much Movement did you get?

#2 Post by Bbyrd »

I'm following....tomorrow I get spacers and then next Monday I get expanders on top and bottom. I'm trying hard for no extractions! I really hope it works but I'm 34 so it might not. :/

2Low4U

Re: How Long Did you Have your Palate expanders in For and how Much Movement did you get?

#3 Post by 2Low4U »

When I First Started mentioned about Braces at my Dentist, they all mentioned about tooth extraction , but when I went for the consolation with the Orthodontist he didn't mention anything about tooth extraction.
I had 2 options 1 was Upper & Lower Palate Expansion or 2 having a operation to break Both jaws and reposition.
I took option 1 right off, as of now my Jaws or teeth are moving which is good to hear. Started at 30mm and at 32.5mm as of Now according to my Turn Chart which is accurate from the last ortho visit.
I go back in October hopefully for Braces. crossing my fingers.

2Low4U

#4 Post by 2Low4U »

The Spacers are really Annoying to have between the teeth, it is like you have a big Chunk of food stuck between the teeth and you can't get it out!

2Low4U

#5 Post by 2Low4U »

When the bands go on it is fine you don't even notice them on after a week or so.
The top expander is metal and Perminate, but the lower is like hard plastic retainer with a screw in the middle and it is removable for eating and Brushing.
You do get used to them eventually, but I still have a lisp with the lower one in.

Bbyrd

#6 Post by Bbyrd »

I got my spacers today! It feels like I have beef jerky stuck between my teeth! Haha! I'll get upper and lower expanders next Monday. I'm super nervous for that but glad to just get the process started. :)

Bbyrd

#7 Post by Bbyrd »

I don't know what my measurements are tho... maybe they will tell me next week?

2Low4U

#8 Post by 2Low4U »

They Measured mine the Day they put in the expanders in, so to keep track of the Expansion.

2Low4U

#9 Post by 2Low4U »

[quote="Bbyrd"]I'm following....tomorrow I get spacers and then next Monday I get expanders on top and bottom. I'm trying hard for no extractions! I really hope it works but I'm 34 so it might not. :/[/quote]
I am 38 and I was Doubtful ,but it is moving for me quite well.

Jaydee83

#10 Post by Jaydee83 »

Hey I'm in the same boat I got my spacers in Thursday and will be getting my expander on the 8th of March weird feeling having stuff stuck in between teeth good luck

2Low4U

#11 Post by 2Low4U »

I got My lower Expander Removed Before Christmas, Still have my upper Expander in now but not Turning, in retention now, Have my Braces installed the same day they took out the lower expander.
Real PITA to Clean & Floss my Upper Teeth ATM but it Really Widened out both Arches! :D
I have no Idea when the Upper Will Be Removed, Hopefully Soon.
Damon Braces Installed 11/15/2017.
Issues with Teeth, Too many to List!

2Low4U

#12 Post by 2Low4U »

Got My Upper Expander Removed Yesterday, not Sad to see it go😉

Jaydee83

#13 Post by Jaydee83 »

Hi I've had my spacers in for 3 weeks and I'm having my expander fitted on Thursday I'm a bit apprehensive but I'm glad to get it started as I'm in for sarpe surgery and braces too lucky me lol

2Low4U

#14 Post by 2Low4U »

Wow 3 weeks for spacers! I only had mine in for 2 days.
You won't have any Soreness with the Expanders unless you turn them more than the Ortho Recommends like I done Once!
2 turns in one Day is not recommended if you are only Supposed to turn once.

Whythelongfacenay

#15 Post by Whythelongfacenay »

Are spacers painful? I'm getting mine put in a week before palate expander.