Question about wires

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Plainj

Question about wires

#1 Post by Plainj »

Does the wire move as your teeth shift? I recently got an adjustment with a new wire on top (no bands, no coils) & when I left the office, I had no problem. A week and a half later it feels like a wire is poking me shredding my cheek. It's not very painful, but it does hurt & is annoying. Did the wire shift or did I just not feel it poking before i left the ortho's office?

erin5550

Re: Question about wires

#2 Post by erin5550 »

Plainj wrote:Does the wire move as your teeth shift? I recently got an adjustment with a new wire on top (no bands, no coils) & when I left the office, I had no problem. A week and a half later it feels like a wire is poking me shredding my cheek. It's not very painful, but it does hurt & is annoying. Did the wire shift or did I just not feel it poking before i left the ortho's office?
It shifts. That's means your wire is doing its job. I have a poker right now I need to go get clipped. You can put a dab of wax over it to see if it'll help until you can get in to get it clipped.

Beckett

#3 Post by Beckett »

For a long time in the beginning is outdo have to go in about 3 or 4 days after an appointment to get pokey wires clipped at the back of my last bracket. It means the wire is going its job and getting your teeth where they belong. Now that I'm near the end I haven't had to do that for a while.

So yeah, totally normal, and absolutely drop in to the office and have them clip it.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

EmilyTravels

#4 Post by EmilyTravels »

Good to know! Within the last few days, most of the ends of my wires have started bothering me, so I guess this is a good sign! Using wax until my next appointment -- I can't get to the orthodontist now as he is in Florida, and we have evacuated from Hurricane Irma!

djspeece

#5 Post by djspeece »

EmilyTravels wrote:Good to know! Within the last few days, most of the ends of my wires have started bothering me, so I guess this is a good sign! Using wax until my next appointment -- I can't get to the orthodontist now as he is in Florida, and we have evacuated from Hurricane Irma!
Best of luck in dealing with that Hurricane, stay safe!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Plainj

#6 Post by Plainj »

Thanks everyone for the replies. Really helpful. :thumbsup:
@Emily Travels, we are praying for the safety of all of you in the southeast.

EmilyTravels

#7 Post by EmilyTravels »

Plainj wrote:Thanks everyone for the replies. Really helpful. :thumbsup:
@Emily Travels, we are praying for the safety of all of you in the southeast.
Thank you! Looks like we're going to be just fine in southern Mississippi but am very worried about friends in Florida. It's gonna get really rough.
:( :( :( :( :( Who knows if we'll be able to get back to Florida before my next ortho. appointment. They are saying 50% of people in the state could lose power, and who knows how long it will take to restore. What a disaster.