Advice for anyone whose face is looking gaunt, sunken, or hollow.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Catpotat

Advice for anyone whose face is looking gaunt, sunken, or hollow.

#1 Post by Catpotat »

Just wanted to bump this comment that I found on metal mouth forum after looking for a solution to my gaunt and sunken cheeks from braces. I found it really helpful and hope it will help others who are depressed about their negative facial changes.
geeky1978 wrote:Hi all
I watched a series of videos from Dr John who mentioned a known side effect of braces is a lengthening face as the teeth are loosened during movements causing them to drop down slightly from the upper jaw. Also wearing elastics (from top to bottom) can pull the maxilla down causing further lengthening and cheek flattening.
Also a soft food diet means there will be a significant loss of muscle tone in the cheeks whilst wearing the braces.

The solution to this would be to retain a strong oral posture, tongue firmly on the roof of the mouth for 90% of the time, lips sealed, teeth close together and a strong chewing action to maintain facial muscle strength/tone.
Also watch the orthotropic videos on swallowing patterns and avoid creating a suction within the cheeks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh9OqEd5z1k
I noticed that wearing braces for a long time caused me to keep my bite slightly open to avoid discomfort and biting on brackets, so while looking in the mirror I tried to bite down with some pressure and noticed my sunken cheeks "fill up" as the muscles clenched. I'm not sure if doing this will lead to permanent results but it's looking quite good after only 5-10 minutes.
Goodluck and I wish you all the best on your braces journey :lol:

Lovespain5

Re: Advice for anyone whose face is looking gaunt, sunken, or hollow.

#2 Post by Lovespain5 »

Meowmei wrote:Just wanted to bump this comment that I found on metal mouth forum after looking for a solution to my gaunt and sunken cheeks from braces. I found it really helpful and hope it will help others who are depressed about their negative facial changes.
geeky1978 wrote:Hi all
I watched a series of videos from Dr John who mentioned a known side effect of braces is a lengthening face as the teeth are loosened during movements causing them to drop down slightly from the upper jaw. Also wearing elastics (from top to bottom) can pull the maxilla down causing further lengthening and cheek flattening.
Also a soft food diet means there will be a significant loss of muscle tone in the cheeks whilst wearing the braces.

The solution to this would be to retain a strong oral posture, tongue firmly on the roof of the mouth for 90% of the time, lips sealed, teeth close together and a strong chewing action to maintain facial muscle strength/tone.
Also watch the orthotropic videos on swallowing patterns and avoid creating a suction within the cheeks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh9OqEd5z1k
I noticed that wearing braces for a long time caused me to keep my bite slightly open to avoid discomfort and biting on brackets, so while looking in the mirror I tried to bite down with some pressure and noticed my sunken cheeks "fill up" as the muscles clenched. I'm not sure if doing this will lead to permanent results but it's looking quite good after only 5-10 minutes.
Goodluck and I wish you all the best on your braces journey :lol:

Very interesting! I received advice about the tongue position during my treatment too and it has only positive effects. If you want we can deal more about it by personnal messages on the Archwired forum.
:?:-#):mrgreen: