Anyone else in Speed braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

EmilyTravels

Anyone else in Speed braces?

#1 Post by EmilyTravels »

Hello! Just had my ortho consult today, and he is recommending Speed brackets (clear on the front six teeth, metal on others). He also mentioned needing to use elastics for my bite issues (open bite on right + overjet).

I think the Speed brackets look great, but nowhere have I seen anything about using elastics with them. Has anyone here had Speed braces and used elastics as well? How does that work, if so? Special type of bracket with a hook on certain teeth?

Thanks!

Beckett

Re: Anyone else in Speed braces?

#2 Post by Beckett »

From what I've observed, self ligating brackets have hooks like standard brackets to enable you to use elastics.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

EmilyTravels

#3 Post by EmilyTravels »

Beckett wrote:From what I've observed, self ligating brackets have hooks like standard brackets to enable you to use elastics.
Thanks. I found out on another forum that there are brackets used in the Speed System that have what are called "mushroom hooks" to hold elastics. I assume my ortho will install this type of bracket on teeth where he envisions I will need to wear elastics. They are not the standard bracket, which does not have a hook.

FlyByNight

#4 Post by FlyByNight »

Self ligating brackets are the damons. I had them off a few months ago. They advertise as less pain, but I guess it depends on the person.

EmilyTravels

#5 Post by EmilyTravels »

FlyByNight wrote:Self ligating brackets are the damons. I had them off a few months ago. They advertise as less pain, but I guess it depends on the person.
Actually (as I just found out), Damon is one brand of self-ligating brackets. My ortho uses a different self-ligating product, Speed System: http://speedsystem.com/HTML/.

Beckett

#6 Post by Beckett »

I think standard is hooks on all 4 canine teeth as well as the 4 back brackets, whichever molars they happen to be on. If you've got a lot of crazy pulling and twisting to be done you may have a few more teeth with hooked brackets but usually it's just those.

EmilyTravels

#7 Post by EmilyTravels »

I looked closely after getting my braces installed yesterday, all but the last four molars which will be done at the next appointment (all four are crowns, so he chose to do them separately). I have the mushroom hooks on all brackets starting from the canines. Not sure what kind of crazy elastic patterns I'll end up having, but I'm prepared for most anything! :-*

Beckett

#8 Post by Beckett »

That's....a lot of hooks!

FlyByNight

#9 Post by FlyByNight »

EmilyTravels wrote:I looked closely after getting my braces installed yesterday, all but the last four molars which will be done at the next appointment (all four are crowns, so he chose to do them separately). I have the mushroom hooks on all brackets starting from the canines. Not sure what kind of crazy elastic patterns I'll end up having, but I'm prepared for most anything! :-*
I had that too and had to do triangles and one to correct my midline.

EmilyTravels

#10 Post by EmilyTravels »

FlyByNight wrote:I had that too and had to do triangles and one to correct my midline.
My midline is off as well, so I expect some strange elastic patterns. Fortunately the hooks are on the side teeth and really tiny on the speed brackets, so not a problem for me. Just want to get my bite straightened out!

Beckett

#11 Post by Beckett »

I ended up with an overnight elastic to correct my midline...from upper canine on the left to lower canine on the right. Quite the lisp with that one if I talked to anyone in the house after I put it in. Did the trick though.

EmilyTravels

#12 Post by EmilyTravels »

Beckett wrote:I ended up with an overnight elastic to correct my midline...from upper canine on the left to lower canine on the right. Quite the lisp with that one if I talked to anyone in the house after I put it in. Did the trick though.
I had that same kind of elastic pattern in my pre-teen braces. Unfortunately my midline shifted again when I broke my jaw earlier this year. I sure hope he will not expect me to wear an elastic like that during the day. I am very motivated, but I have my limits! :lol: