What does this dip in my wire mean?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

FlowerPower

What does this dip in my wire mean?

#1 Post by FlowerPower »

I recently had my wires changed and the wire along my top arch has a dip in it. Do you all know what this does/means? This is not my photo, but this is what the wire looks like.

EmilyTravels

Re: What does this dip in my wire mean?

#2 Post by EmilyTravels »

I'm no expert but my guess would be to put a little extra force to close the gap between your right front tooth and the one immediately next to it (sorry, I don't know the official name for these teeth!)

djspeece

#3 Post by djspeece »

As I understand things, the wire always tends to straighten, so I am guessing that this bend will move your two front teeth to a more vertical position. However this is a great question for your ortho.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Prometheus

#4 Post by Prometheus »

You have self ligationg braces which allow the wire to slide back and forth freely. The V shaped bend in the center prevents the wire from sliding too far left or right. Some archwire manufacturers use crimpable "stops" on the wire, others use these V shaped bends. Hope that helps!
Lower braces on March 11, 2015, upper braces added July 14, 2015.
Damon, metal bottom / clear top.
Braces off March 26, 2018: Total time in braces: 3 years, 2 weeks and 1 day.
Hawley retainers top and bottom.