Dating with Braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

alefranco1

Dating with Braces

#1 Post by alefranco1 »

Hell fellow brace faces,

I just got my consultation for the 6 month smile braces and am a little nervous on how I should tell the guy I a dating that I will be getting braces. The relationship is just that of dating and I'm a little bit nervous that he won't like the idea of a grown woman wearing braces. Anyone go through anything similar?

FlyByNight

Re: Dating with Braces

#2 Post by FlyByNight »

I'm sure he would feel great knowing you will have a big straight smile in the end!

cmatthews26

#3 Post by cmatthews26 »

FlyByNight wrote:I'm sure he would feel great knowing you will have a big straight smile in the end!
Couldn't agree more with this! ^

I myself was always worried about how braces would impact my dating life. I've had them for over a year and they've never held me back. I've had nothing but compliments from people.

I'm more than positive that he and many other people will think the same. Plus you're only going to be having braces for 6 months! That's crazy short! I'd do anything to have had that option :lol:

Natrapx

#4 Post by Natrapx »

If he's "the one" he won't care, and will big you up for doing it! If he's the sort of person to give you a hard time, and not support you, then better knowing it now!

Snowglobe32

#5 Post by Snowglobe32 »

Let's see...most guys I know, don't pay attention to anything....so I say, get them on and wait to see how long it takes him to notice. :lol:

If it really bothers you or you feel the need to tell him, just say something similiar to...I'm thinking about getting braces, have you had them? Or you can just tell him in your own confident way, I'm getting braces on blah. See how he reacts. If he reacts in a negative way, he isn't worth "losing."

djspeece

#6 Post by djspeece »

Many of us would be very interested in seeing what it was like to kiss a woman with braces. I know I was (but that's another story). Braces may just endear you to him even more. Assume the best and go forth with confidence.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

pitasyd

#7 Post by pitasyd »

I would like to think the person you're dating will appreciate you having braces. It's a sign of self improvement. My boyfriend love the thought of me getting them.

Jibbers

#8 Post by Jibbers »

I think that anybody worth your while won't have a problem with you bettering yourself. Good luck!

MetalMouthBraces

#9 Post by MetalMouthBraces »

I think that braces is a small aspect in comparison to you as a whole. Not to mention, you're only going to have your braces for only 6 months! I was also afraid that my boyfriend would think of me differently or that he wouldn't like it, but there's nothing to fear. :) Like what the other comments say, if he acts negatively, he wasn't worth it anyway.

r1r1r12000

#10 Post by r1r1r12000 »

Based on my experience the past 10 months, my guess is that most people you date simply won't notice/care. Certainly they'll SEE the braces, but especially if you act natural, smile normally, etc. it is likely to be a non-issue, similar to whether you wear glasses or not.

Okey2017

#11 Post by Okey2017 »

Dating with braces is not a big deal. Most people don't even notice them.

burgers144

#12 Post by burgers144 »

I would bring it up, but I haven’t experienced your situation :-/. I already had braces when I started dating my boyfriend and he loves them and most people don’t mind or care or seem to notice them so I think you’ll be fine!

msw

#13 Post by msw »

In the time that I had braces: I got divorced, signed up for a dating website, went on dates with attractive men (who also found me attractive!) and entered a serious relationship. Having braces while dating was not an issue whatsoever. In fact, I think it was a major turn on for this one guy I went out with a couple times.

Anyone whos not interested or who loses interest because of braces is seriously not worth your time.