Getting teeth to move faster

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

liannes

Getting teeth to move faster

#1 Post by liannes »

Hello!

I am currently on my second month having Damon braces with an overbite on my teeth. However, my archwire on my upper set of teeth had not been changed since the day i put it on, and my next appointment is end of the month, making it 2.5 months before the teeth get any attention.

I am wondering if leaving the wire without adjusting for 2.5 months will aid the teeth in moving in the mean time. Or are there any ways i can do to aid the teeth to move faster. As I've got my pre-molars extracted, what are the ways which i can close the gap faster.

I am thinking of putting power chain on myself (its sold readily) while waiting for the next appointment to aid the teeth to move faster, but am afraid that it may cause adverse effects, as my extraction holes had not been closed fully.

Just wanting to do what I can, to get my teeth back to a perfect smile.

WanderingWallflower

Re: Getting teeth to move faster

#2 Post by WanderingWallflower »

I personally would not advise you to put a power chain on on your own. You should wait and see what the treatment plan is from your ortho or you could severely affect your treatment time and/or also make things for your ortho with their plan.

FlyByNight

#3 Post by FlyByNight »

don't risk damaging your teeth. Orthodontists all have a plan for each patient.

Tyrantblade

#4 Post by Tyrantblade »

liannes wrote:Hello!

I am currently on my second month having Damon braces with an overbite on my teeth. However, my archwire on my upper set of teeth had not been changed since the day i put it on, and my next appointment is end of the month, making it 2.5 months before the teeth get any attention.

I am wondering if leaving the wire without adjusting for 2.5 months will aid the teeth in moving in the mean time. Or are there any ways i can do to aid the teeth to move faster. As I've got my pre-molars extracted, what are the ways which i can close the gap faster.

I am thinking of putting power chain on myself (its sold readily) while waiting for the next appointment to aid the teeth to move faster, but am afraid that it may cause adverse effects, as my extraction holes had not been closed fully.

Just wanting to do what I can, to get my teeth back to a perfect smile.
You are far too early to want your teeth to move faster; Orthodontics takes time for good reason (which is why 6 month smiles is a very bad idea for most patients).

Give it some time and things will start to seem like they are moving fast and you will be very happy with your progress.
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

djspeece

#5 Post by djspeece »

I understand the need for speed, but in orthodontics it comes at a high risk of doing permanent damage via root reabsorption or worsening your bite. Absolutely do not apply powerchains, elastics, or any other device that your orthodontist has not prescribed. In the early stages of treatment the archwire does not move the teeth too dramatically, as I understand things. Early movements are concerned with creating a more symmetrical arch and to better align the teeth vertically. The changes are occurring, but they are subtle. In the early stages I really could not see much improvement, but I noticed (my tongue did, actually) that my teeth were better becoming more even across the tops. The best advice is to closely follow your orthodontist's advice, maintain good nutrition, and stay healthy! Best of luck to you. You'll get through this.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

ProudMama1015

#6 Post by ProudMama1015 »

I would wait until you see your orthodontist. They know what is best. You don't want to force your teeth to move faster than they are ready. I was getting aggravated when they didn't change my top wire for 2.5 months but my teeth were moving. Trust me, its best to wait.

liannes

#7 Post by liannes »

however, i dont see any movement with my teeth T_T

Mpkh

#8 Post by Mpkh »

Even if you don't see visible changes on a day to day basis, your teeth are moving. Try taking pictures of your teeth on a weekly basis. I thought my teeth weren't doing a lot, but when I compared pictures between weeks, it's evident things have moved.

Do not try to force your teeth to move faster. Braces are a thing of patience.
Braced: April 07, 2017
Debraced: February 08, 2019
Sentence: 18-24 months
Actual time in braces: 22 months and 1 day
Reason: Straighten teeth, correct crossbite and edge-to-edge bite

http://myjourneyandlifewithbraces.blogspot.ca