Anything you miss about braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Felina Grimm

Re: Anything you miss about braces?

#16 Post by Felina Grimm »

Azul wrote:After 2.5 years of braces I didnt even notice they were there, I was so comfortable with them that I kind of missed them once they were off. I was very motivated through all the process and I didnt mind the extra year I had to wear them.
2.9 years for me. The only thing I don't miss is all the extra maintenance. But once they were off, my mouth felt naked and it still feels naked when not wearing retainers because I was so used to having something in my mouth.
Sentence: 24 months, months served: 35 months
Traditional Full-Metal Brackets
Top: 9/9/2014
Bottom: 10/15/2014
Debonded: 8/7/2017

str8k8

#17 Post by str8k8 »

Beckett wrote:I think I'm going to miss having someone look at my teeth and tell me how amazing they're looking every month when I go for an appointment. :-* It's a nice confidence boost.
I love this thread. Its made me realise that maybe i don't TOTALLY hate my braces. I 100% agree with the comment above ^^^ I look forward to my adjustments to hear how much my teeth have improved!

Beckett

#18 Post by Beckett »

To be honest I've never hated them. They've freaked me out now and then, like when I first had them put on and I realized I couldn't bite down anymore! That was a slight moment of panic. And when I have an adjustment and things start moving and my bite feels off I have to breathe and remind myself that it will settle again by the next appointment. I am getting a little tired of having difficulties talking with my class III elastics so I'm looking forward to being done with those. I've noticed the past few months I've had to slow down when I talk or words come out garbled and lisped.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

SinkFullOfDinner

#19 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

Let me think about that for a second... Well, earlier this summer I had an itchy mosquito bite on the knuckle of my thumb, and I found that the edges and corners of braces were an excellent scratching tool. Plus, it kept the other hand free for texting or screwing in light bulbs. So that won't be an option when they come off, but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to figure out a way to manage. Other than that, I won't miss a single thing. Not. A. Single. Thing.

EmilyTravels

#20 Post by EmilyTravels »

Well, my husband says I look a lot younger in them -- I think because they push my lips out a bit and thus plump out my lip wrinkles (I am 56). So I am really going to miss that!

testimony777

#21 Post by testimony777 »

I can't imagine missing anything about these things! I am nearing the 18 mos point (but not the end as I was told :( ) and, though they are not really painful or uncomfortable, I am still very aware of them. I am baffled by (and envious of) those of you who talk about forgetting you have them in after a while. I cannot wait to get these braces removed and I don't think I will miss anything at all but I will definitely report back to this thread if I do lol.
Braced: March 18, 2016
De-bonded : December 29, 2017 (22 months out of the 18-24 month treatment plan I was given)
Retainers: Fixed on top and bottom/ Clear, removable for nighttime wear

Scandalicious

#22 Post by Scandalicious »

testimony777 wrote:I can't imagine missing anything about these things! I am nearing the 18 mos point (but not the end as I was told :()
I was told 12-15 months and I'm 18 month in and still a few months to go at least so don't stress