TADs failed my open bite, will headgear work?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

HummerMan3

TADs failed my open bite, will headgear work?

#1 Post by HummerMan3 »

Hey folks, I'm 12 months into braces to treat an anterior open bite. Temporary anchorage devices were intruding my molars for 9 months, but they were less effective than we had hoped. When he discontinued them in May, my orthodontist mentioned headgear (not sure what type) as an option if elastics don't satisfactorily close my bite. Last week I brought up headgear with the orthodontist and he was a bit more dour about it, saying that it was a "nuclear option" if nothing else worked, and even then, may not work to fully close my bite. My question is this: has anyone here had headgear to close an open bite, and if so, how effective was it? Does anyone know its relative efficacy when compared to TADs? The orthodontist mentioned less success with headgear in adults... I wonder if that is strictly a function of the less mobile permanent dentition or if compliance becomes more of an issue. (I could realistically be compliant with wearing headgear up to 18 hours per day if needed.)
Lastly, does anyone know of any other possible treatments for closing an open bite, other than surgery? I've looked online and couldn't find any good answers, but I wonder if there are any other less common appliances or therapies that I could suggest to my ortho. He seems to be open to more ideas at this point because of the lack of progress in my mouth. Thanks in advance!

tiger15

Re: TADs failed my open bite, will headgear work?

#2 Post by tiger15 »

hmmmm,

headgear can be an option, but your otho will know the best way to straighten your teeth