Spacers keep breaking/coming out

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jibbers

Spacers keep breaking/coming out

#1 Post by Jibbers »

Just got my top brackets and wire 3 days ago, as well as 4 spacers top and bottom (8 total) and go back in 2 weeks for bands. My teeth are super tight and they even broke multiple spacers just trying to put them in. Within 24 hours I had 2 broken spacers and had to go back for replacements. Now it's day #3 and I have another broken spacer, and one just fell out. I feel like I'm doing something wrong and they're going to get irritated with me coming back repeatedly. Is this common?

Dureena

Re: Spacers keep breaking/coming out

#2 Post by Dureena »

What are you eating when they fall out? :D

Sometimes your teeth will be too tight for the spacers to function properly, if the spacers don't work they can always use buccal tubes and then switch to bands (if needed) later in the treatment

Jibbers

#3 Post by Jibbers »

[quote="Dureena"]What are you eating when they fall out? :D

Sometimes your teeth will be too tight for the spacers to function properly, if the spacers don't work they can always use buccal tubes and then switch to bands (if needed) later in the treatment[/quote]

I've been sticking to softer foods since getting my braces. Salad, burger, soft tacos, sushi, rice, chicken, etc. My back teeth especially hurt quite a bit so I've been chewing pretty gingerly.

tiger15

#4 Post by tiger15 »

i lost 2 spacers as i hat them.
my ortho replaced them at the next day