Anyone skip recommended surgery?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chuckaluck

Anyone skip recommended surgery?

#1 Post by Chuckaluck »

I'm 39, I got braces two weeks ago and I still have options. The ortho is confident he can straighten my teeth but does not think it will fix my bite. Instead he recommends I have surgery at the 12 month mark. I met with the oral surgeon and all has been approved by my insurance. I spoke with my ortho when I had the braces put on about leaving my options open and he agreed. So I can have straight teeth with an over bite or going ahead with the surgery and get straight teeth with a proper bite. The surgery scares me and would be a double jaw surgery with a significant recovery period.

My question is has anyone skipped the surgery and still liked the results? Does anyone have thoughts on this they would like to share?

djspeece

Re: Anyone skip recommended surgery?

#2 Post by djspeece »

You may want to reach out to sirwired, a very knowledgeable and articulate member of this forum who underwent surgery and braces. I think he can provide some valuable insights to support your decision one way or the other. Best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Heidirs

#3 Post by Heidirs »

I have an underbite and will not be getting surgery to correct it. It just doesn't seem worth it to me. But everyone is different.

BrunetteMoment

#4 Post by BrunetteMoment »

I have an over bite and an over jet; my ortho suggested lower jaw surgery for a "perfect" bite. But he also said that if I choose not to do surgery that he could still fix it as much as possible and camouflage what can't be fixed without surgery. In the end I opted not to go through with surgery and will still get the straight teeth and bite that I wanted.
Every case is different though, best of luck!
Damon Metal. 18 months.
Fixing: Overbite, overjet, crowding.

lia2017

#5 Post by lia2017 »

I'm curious too about results without surgery.

What kind of problems are you fixing with the braces? Straighening?

liannes

#6 Post by liannes »

i went to two dentist. One which rejected me, and asked me to go to the hospital to get a jaw surgery done, as my bottom jaw is pretty small.
However, I do not want as it is costly, and any forms of operation has certain amount of risk. I felt quite sad, as i had to wait for 2 months to get his "verdict"

I chanced upon my current dentist's webpage, and went for a free consultation. Which he said it will try to do his best, but there might be a deviation of 5mm, from the perfect face. Which, i thought it is alright. He even mentioned what my previous dentist did not informed me, which are the implications of surgery.

I guess i will be more than happy with my teeth being straight, with the conventional way, than having to go thru so much for a perfect face.